Truck Storage

Old 09-23-02, 03:39 AM
Truck Storage

Im planning on storing my truck for the winter. (I live in the Northeast) It is a 1998 Chevy c-1500 with 4.3 engine and 84,000 miles on it. I will store from November to April. It will be stored in a unheated garage. I was planning on waxing, changing oil, blocking up all (4) wheels, removing battery and covering. Does this sound right? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-02, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
I would change out the coolant to ensure best protection against freezing. Also remove all spark plugs, squirt a few cc's of oil in all cylinders, turn the engine over a couple of times and reinstall the plugs.

Old 09-23-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's a pickup truck, why store it? Comes in handy in the winter with a plow.

Do as Tow Guy suggested. You might also call GM's hotline, they should be able to give you some tips on storage. The owner's manual might also have some ideas too.

Old 09-23-02, 07:39 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Put Sta-bil in the gas tank and top off with fuel!!! This is very important todays gas starts to break down in several weeks and can gum up fuel systems!

Old 09-24-02, 07:46 PM
I've been storing cars for about 27 years. It's a big help to store it in a garage. I don't fuss much with my cars... don't have the time. I just try to drive them around once a month while they're in storage and disconnect the battery.

The best thing for storing a car is to give it exercise at least once a month... twice a month is better. Run it till it's warm, then run a little more. Run the a/c at the same time. It wets all the seals and breaks any corrosion that forms on the parts.

There's all kinds of things you can fuss with... like you said, blocking up the wheels, change to fresh oil, new antifreeze, using sta-bil. It's up to the individual...there are no hard and fast rules. I think your plan is okay. I'm just not sure if the battery will be rechargable after a winter of non-use. My winter and summer cars share the same battery.

Old 09-25-02, 12:13 PM
Ive got this trickle charger sort of thing for storing vehicles, it costs only a few bucks, and you connect it to the wall and to your battery, and it is supposed to provide a very small amount of constant voltage, enough to keep the battery fresh indefinetly.

but have not used it yet, any experience with these things?