2000 Mits Galant brakes

Old 09-24-02, 07:58 PM
dntsdad
Visiting Guest
2000 Mits Galant brakes

I bought this car used with about 16000 miles a year ago. Every 4000-6000 miles the steering wheel and basically the entire car begins to shake when you apply the brakes. I took the rotors off the front and took them down and had the turned and the problems went away the first time it began. It then came back after a while and i again had the rotors turned. This happened about 3 times and then I bought new rotors. NOw the same problem is back. Needless to say this is very , VERY frustrating and I have no idea what could be causing it. I am about to take these rotors off and have them turned but I would like to know where to start in finding the problem.

Just FYI my wife drives about 45 miles a day to work and the car has about 55000 miles on it and its a 4 cyl.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-02, 03:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What brand of rotors did you buy?

If you didn't buy good US or Canadian made aftermarket or the OEM replacements, your problem is there. Offshore stuff warps in a jiffy.

Old 09-25-02, 07:09 AM
dntsdad
Visiting Guest
i dont remember. I bought them from Napa.

Even the factory Mits rotors did the same thing though until I had turned them so many times I just decided to buy new ones.

Old 09-25-02, 09:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Makes a difference. Even Mitsubishi has likely revised/upgraded the parts since the originals.

Offshore made units are known to be warped out of the box.

Old 09-25-02, 09:48 AM
For best results rotors should be turned with an "on car lathe"

Use the proper loosening and tightening torque sequence.

Mitsu will not pay a dealer for warranty brake shudder repair unless an on car lathe is used.

Larry