Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car hesitating

Visiting Guest

09-26-02, 08:35 AM   #1  
just chuck
car hesitating

I have a 1998 Mazda 626 lx 4-cylinder. It hesitates badly when excelorating. I think it might be clogged fuel injection system, but not sure. If you know what it is, please reply on what it is and how I can fix it.

Thanks,

Chuck G.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-26-02, 09:37 AM   #2  
Joe_F
May not be fuel and could be just about anything.

Start with the links and posts below in my signature file.

Visiting Guest

09-26-02, 01:37 PM   #3  
davidf
it happened to me a little while ago

If the car surges while you are cruising then it is the gas filter.Just remove the gas filter but be careful to block the inlet and outlet of the filter with your fingers and when you are near a pail,just tilt the filter so the gas runs out of the outlet into the pail.If it runs out in a steady stream then the filter is ok but let the stream run out in a long stream like hold it from the pail three feet to get a good look at the stream.I saw a mechanic do this to check my filter once.

09-26-02, 04:38 PM   #4  
be careful with gasoline if you are not used to it. Uscrew the gas cap to release pressure first. Blocking the line with your fingers might not be the wisest thing though, most gas filters on newer vehicles are underneith near the gas tank. In this case, you will be lying on your back, the gas could go down your arm, onto your clothes...etc, you get the picture.

I had the unfortunate experience of getting gasoline in my eye and ear once. Put it this way, as a man, I would rather get kicked in the crotch by a linebacker than to go through the pain of the gasoline in my eye and ear again.

09-29-02, 03:31 PM   #5  
My 1991 Blazer was hesitating as yours is. I found out that two of my spark plug wires had very small gashes in them, and the electricity was jumping from the spark plug wires to a vacuum hose for the 4 wheel drive. To check this, run your engine at night(so it is as dark as possible) and see if you can see a spark jumping wires somewhere.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-02, 11:00 PM   #6  
Generally, a fuel filter won't make it hesitate on acceleration from idle. It will show up when the engine gets to higher RPMs or accelerate for a second, then bog. If it is hesitating when you hit the gas from idle, then you could have a number of different problems. One common culprit is a bad TPS. Another is the MAF (if equipped). Have you checked for stored codes?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread