Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

heater core

Visiting Guest

09-26-02, 08:36 AM   #1  
redneck
heater core

Anyone ever replace a heater core in a 70-81 firebird(joe f?). I have a 1977 formula 400, 4spd with bad core--already replaced rad core, hoses, thermo, etc. The car sat since '81 34,000k miles. It looks like a bear at first glance. Also, any tips on getting the water neck to seal? I am at two gaskets with gasket sealer--and still getting leaks!?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-26-02, 09:36 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The core is a gazorch to do and probably the hardest on the cars with A/C and the hardest operation to do on a 2nd gen.

I believe the easiest way is to take the RH fender off. You also have to drop the dash and it's behind there.

On the coolant leak up front, one gasket is MORE than enough. You likely have a rotten thermostat neck, replace it.

Visiting Guest

09-27-02, 07:25 AM   #3  
redneck
That's what I thought! It does not have AC--but I will remember the fender trick when I start it this weekend. I cleaned the water neck and intake real good last night (water neck is in good condition). I used blue RTV and am letting it set up over night will torque tonight and fire it up for a Fri. night cruise and check for leaks and 5.0 stangs to blow off! ps. bypassed the heater core for now!

09-27-02, 03:06 PM   #4  
he he he, bring that car around my 5.0 stang....

Visiting Guest

09-27-02, 08:41 PM   #5  
Joe_F
You might be seeing some taillights Jeremy, although the Mustang has a weight advantage.

It surely lacks the quality, looks, and ease of maintenance only a 70's GM can provide

I don't race or heckle when I'm driving any of my T/A's.

I just stick it to 'em that I'm driving vehicles made by the #1 car company in the world, not the #2 .

He he...lol

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 06:25 AM   #6  
redneck
he, he ,he Found two mustangs--actually one guy lives across the street '98 Gt automatic, and three houses down '91 Gt five speed.
Ever since I got the car runnin they both have been sniffin around the driveway. Well, bets were made (minor for fun) and runs were made (in a safe secluded area) I took the '98 by an easy car length, the '91 got me by a car lenth! "98 was stock---'91 was not. All I can say is not bad for a stock '77 smog motor!

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 08:02 AM   #7  
Joe_F
He he.

Looks like the Indian scalped the horse .

09-30-02, 08:28 AM   #8  
come on joe, now, that is not fair. As a mechanic, you should know darn well that the 86-93 mustang 5.0 is rarely in the shop for repairs. In all the reports I have ever read, every single one has always rated the stang as well above average in reliability. I have many, many friends with them that also prove they just do not break down( How ford got this car right I still have not figured out) As for looks, well, that is all opionions I love the hell out of that year firebird, but there is a reason why those cars are bye bye now. GM may be #!, however they were definetly not with that car. As for seeing tailights, I may, but my car is turning an easy 14.8 or so,and I know that those firebirds for that year come close, give or take half second.

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 08:58 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I can tell you that Ford is #2 for good reason. Dropping the 5.0 was one of their worst ideas. The 4.6 is an oil burning nightmare. I was behind a 3 year old Town Car on Friday, puffing up a storm.

As for the 5.0, the motor is decent, but everything hooked up to it is crap. The computer system, sensors, controls, emissions, all silly.

Ford's part numbering system is like military morse code. Very convuluted and piss poor.

Back in 1979, the Mustang was piss poor in performance compared to a Trans Am. A 1978 Mustang was a Mustang II, a laughing stock compared to a T/A or Camaro of that year.

My 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 has more horsepower than a 1980 Mustang. Even a 1980 Delta 88 has more horse than the weak 255 put in a Mustang that year.

It's fair because a 1998 Mustang GT should be able to roast something 20+ years its senior. Pretty embarrasing on the Ford side that a stock, simple, carbureted, smogged 1977 Pontiac motor can embarrass all that technology .

Visiting Guest

10-01-02, 09:52 AM   #10  
redneck
Having owned a '86 LX 5.0 I really can not say anything bad about them--other than if yours is only running 14.8 It must be bone stock and an automatic. Back in the day when I ran with the 'stang boys many were turning high 13's! Joe is right the 4.6 is weak especially the auto's. GM may be done with the F cars, but they have been superior to the stangs since '93 in speed and handling. Before that the 5.0's ruled the streets. I know, I had a 400 spd T/A (first car) and the 'stang for awhile--sold the T/A when I could not keep tranny's in it trying to keep up with the 5.0's! Then there was the '88 5.7 Iroc I bought already modified via SLP--that was probably the fastest car I have owned--but there was always a 5.0 out there (few) that could take me--those 5.0's just respond very well to bolt ons! God, I love cars!

Visiting Guest

10-01-02, 10:20 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Don't we all ? I have six:

1980 Turbo 301 Trans Am, Carousel Red, 26,000 original, my parents car from new.

1979 10th Anniversary 400 4 speed Trans Am, 57,000 original, my gift to myself for finishing my MBA in Executive Management with a 3.9 out of 4.0 grade point average and 2 years ahead of schedule.

1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88, 2 dr Royale Brougham, 144k on it. Resurrected from the junkyard in 1996 (where my uncle was going to send it). My commuter car .

1982 Oldsmobile Toronado, restored after a theft in 1990. My first car. Up for sale eventually.....

1980 Turbo (originally) WS6 T-top Trans Am. Now has a 1977 400 motor in it from a 77 LeMans. Runs like a scalded ape. Loud, fast, and noisy as all hell. Eventual parts car. Headers and Flowmasters round out the noise maker

1989 Chevy Cavalier. 25,000 original. My grandparents car from new in 1989. My 92 year old grandfather stopped driving last year and I wound up with this one. Has every piece of paper (window sticker, dealer invoice, bill of sale, owner's books, etc, etc, etc, ) The only hands it has seen as far as repair have been mine . My other commuter car.

My mother has a 1993 Saturn SL2 which rounds out the package. I use it sometimes and just wax, wash and maintain it .

You could say I'm partial to GM .

10-01-02, 10:39 AM   #12  
Quite a line up joe. Everytime I wind up with that many cars, I am forced to start getting rid of some. Seems people just don't understand why one would need more than one car.

Redneck, yes it is practically bone stock. Stock motor with 174k miles on it, valve covers never off. The only goodies it has is a short throw shifter, a newer ford racing clutch, and flowmasters and k&n. The problem is that it is a "HEAVY" convertible, weighing in at least 3300LB's without me in it. The one and only time I ran the car a drag strip, I didn't have the slightest clue as how to adjust my new adjustable clutch cable, and the car kept creeping at the tree due to mal adjustment, and it messed up my launches. Some day I've gotta go back for new times.

Visiting Guest

10-01-02, 01:05 PM   #13  
redneck
cool, 170+ miles says alot for that motor. I don't race, really, just for laughs once in a while. Would like to take this one to track just to get time slips--maybe next spring if I keep it that long--gives me all winter to "tweek" it! Last time I was at a track was 1989 when I had my first 400 4spd firebird 14.5 was the best time "it was tweeked" could'nt launch, or shift, or keep the tires from spinning. I currently own 3 cars and a truck, a boat and a Harley--so I don't have the time I used to back when I was a pure "car" guy. I did have the exact car Joe has (the 10th anniversary) sold it two years ago--I regret most of the cars i've bought and sold (dozens) but that one the most. You guys have fun--I gotta go check out the Harley site--then the boat site--then.

Visiting Guest

10-01-02, 01:07 PM   #14  
Joe_F
A Pontiac will do that to ya . Lasting impressions.

When I contacted the former owners of my 1979 10th, ALL of them inquired about buying it back, including the original owner! .

Search this Thread