chrysler 2.2 carb question

Old 09-26-02, 01:09 PM
chrysler 2.2 carb question

Hi all, I'm referring to the Holly 5220 (non-feedback) carb that is bolted to a 1987 chrysler 2.2 (right now it's in an '87 charger, but it's going to be in an '87 minivan soon).

It has 2 barrels, one of which is supposed to open up when you are at near-wide-open throttle positions. My secondary throttle plate does not open. It does move freely (by hand when you have the throttle opened up) but there's nothing to make it open up. There is an ear shaped piece connected to the primary barrel's control to make sure the secondary is closed when it's supposed to be, but nothing to make it open when it's supposed to (like once the ear shaped piece is no longer holding it closed). When you have the primary barrel opened up all the way you can kind of flop the secondary throttle around. It doesn't seem to have any resistance to moving.

Is there supposed to be a spring that makes the secondary open? I don't see anywhere where a spring is supposed to be connected, but I'm thinking of rigging one in.

How is this thing supposed to open?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-02, 06:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On some a choke pulloff actuates the flap on some....sounds like it needs a rebuild at this point though. .

Those are pesky and not worth a wooden nickel

Old 09-27-02, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the input! This carb is weird (it's been a long time for me and carb work).

Right now, I can floor it in neutral and it will rev to 5k rpm only. Since I'm going to be putting this in a heavy(ier) minivan, it probably will make quite a difference.

In fact, I'm starting to believe this was the trouble with the old engine in the van. I remember that it was gutless and you had to keep it right to the floor to go 70mph down the highway. I bet the secondary in that carb isn't working either.

Rebuild, ey? There's a pretty good description on how to do that in my manual.... perhaps I'll give it a try (hell, I have a spare if I totally screw it up).

I remember my step father rebuilding one once (and he hardly ever worked on cars... he hated the way they were designed to be hard to work on). It worked great when he was done, too.

Thanks again!

Old 09-27-02, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What engine and fuel configuration is in the van now?

1987 vans did have the 2.2 vin code C (2 barrel) engine in them.

Those Holley carbs are probably one of the peskiest out there along with the GM varajet. This was when carburetion was nearing the end and honestly only the large V8's were reliable carburetion wise .

Old 09-28-02, 08:56 AM
Yeah, the engine is going to replace a carb 2.2 that's in the van right now. The 2.2 in the van seemed to run on about 2.75 cylinders from the day that my father in law bought it. He drove it for about 3 years when it finally puked on him.

It's been sitting for about 3 years now and he's finally decided that he isn't going to want to work on it after all. The engine not withstanding, the van drove great (just not too fast, a plus for me ). I think the 2.2 in the van has blown a head gasket, but I have a cheap replacement (in the charger) thatís running better than the van did when first bought into my family. So I'll save the van's old 2.2 just in case I want to do an easy overhaul.

My father has something for carburetors. I don't get it. lol

He was a licensed mechanic throughout the 70's and about half way through the 80's. So he's partial to the carb.

I've been spoiled with great running fuel injected engines that need no adjusting throughout their lives. These "old" carburetors just give me a reminder of why I like fuel injection so much. But I like the nostalgia too. Something about pumping that gas pedal that brings me back.