Oil/filter change interval

Old 09-27-02, 11:58 AM
Oil/filter change interval

Wife drives a 2000 Honda Odyssey and we change the filter and oil every 7500 miles at the dealer per the dealer.

I have a 2000 Mazda 626, they(dealer) recommends changing every 3000 miles.

What gives?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-02, 01:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This could be debated for days and I don't want a 100 long post on it, but here's the bottom line (it's been discussed at length on this forum MANY times) .

1) Look at the maintenance schedule and match your driving habits and conditions to what they describe for "normal" and "severe" service. If you fall between the two, pick severe.

2) Adhere to the manufacturer's recommended intervals for best and longest service life of the vehicle.

3) My opinion is that most vehicles are driven in the severe range and should get 3k/3 month oil changes. I do all of mine that way and no oil related problems in ANY of my six vehicles! .

Stick with the book, match your driving to their maintenance schedule, use quality parts and oil and you'll be fine.

Also, each engine varies. My 1980 Turbo Trans Am has a big sticker under the hood, "Caution: Engine oil and filter to be changed every 3,000 miles". Yet my 1979 Trans Am 400 doesn't say that in the book? Why?

Each engine varies. The turbo runs hotter and clean oil is more "cricitical" in such an engine.

Old 09-27-02, 01:26 PM
I don't mean to start a 200 post topic, just trying to figure out why one MFG says 3K and another says 7.5K miles between changes.

The Mazda does have more severe driving than the Honda, but their recommendation only seems to use miles as an idicator.

I have heard Mark Salem on the local radio station, and he says that oils and engines are much better than they used to be and that 3K intervals are a waste of oil and $.

I guess everyone has an opinion, it is just who do you believe.

Thanks for yours...

Old 09-27-02, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
That may be so, but it is awfully cheap insurance when you think about it. Let's say 15,000 miles a year. At 7500 interval you do 2 a year. At 3000 you do 5 that's only 3 more a year, probably less than $50. I personally would never go 7500 miles on an oil change regardless of who is suggesting it [320k miles on my wrecker's 350 Chevy, 190k on the short block w/3k oil changes].

Old 09-27-02, 08:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mark is quite a guy, I have spoken to him personally on the phone. Good guy.

My .02:

Again, each engine differs. My Turbo 301 requires different intervals than my 1979 400 and they are in essence the "same". Can't compare apples and oranges. Follow the mfgr's warranty or be stricter than it. Keep copious records. This way if there is a problem, you have proof and recourse.

Say you change your oil every 7500. Then the engine does fail. The dealer could say, "Well, technically, this requires 3k oil changes...and we found a lot of sludge in there. Mazda isn't going to pay for all of this repair, we'll go half with you".

If it were my car the answer would be, "Bull biscuits. If the engine seized, it's a manufacturing defect, as I have proof of 3k/3000 mile oil changes right here".

Again depends on your driving. TowGuy's vehicle is not an anamoly in the fleet/service arena, I know of a few cabs with 600k on the original powertrain. with no engine problems and they were maintained. 600k in cab miles is like 1 million for the average passenger car .

Take the severe route and you can't go wrong . My .02

Old 09-28-02, 02:35 PM
Joe, to answer your question on why the 1980 Turbo Trans Am MUST be changed every 3000 miles, whereas the 1979 Trans Am 400 can be driven longer between oil changes..... the answer is the turbo.

Turbos are definitely tougher on oil than regular engines. I've worked on oil coking issues with turbo design engineers. Oil has tendency to coke (or "cook") in the turbo oil passages from the heat. (Ever see one when it's glowing red-hot on a dynamometer?) Though I'm not a fan of synthetic oils for economic reasons, I'd probably recommend synthetic oil for turbo applications.

Old 09-28-02, 07:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree, and I believe I stated that in a prior post.

Again, reiterating that EACH engine is different. That is why it is IMPERATIVE to follow the manufacturer's recommended intervals or exceed them.

As mentioned, it is cheap insurance. Like the Fram commercial says, "Pay it now or pay it later".

When you've got rare numbers matching blocks like I do, a little extra on oil and filters now is better than trying to restamp or repair another block