Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

power locks not locking

Visiting Guest

09-27-02, 03:01 PM   #1  
autobob
power locks not locking

I have a '95 chevy lumina sedan with automatic doorlocks. When you activate the driver side power door-lock switch, all doors should lock. The passenger side door-lock would not lock when the switch was pushed and now the driver side door-lock will not lock with the switch. I took the door panel off of the driver side. I reached up and put a little pressure on the rod coming from the outside keylock mechanism and pushed the switch and the switch would lock and unlock the door but when I released the rod, it wouldn't work. I think the problem is the same on the passenger side. The rod has a lot of slop & it seems if I pull the rod towards the driver side seat, it works. But if I move the rod in any other direction, it doesn't work. I need some advice please! I don't know if there is a way to tighten the rod or if I have to replace the whole system. Any advice would be helpful! Also, I was told by my fiance that the door will sometimes not unlock with the key. thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-27-02, 08:49 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Bring power to each door lock actuator in the door and see if they work correctly up and down.

If they do, switch or wiring problem.

Visiting Guest

10-03-02, 05:36 PM   #3  
autobob
reply to:power doorlocks not locking

Originally posted by Joe_F
Bring power to each door lock actuator in the door and see if they work correctly up and down.

If they do, switch or wiring problem.
The switch seems to work because, as I said, when I hold the slack from the rod coming from the outside keylock, the lock works fine using the switch but if I release the rod, it won't work. It seems to be either too much slack in the rods or the part of the actuator where the rod connects has too much play causing it not to work. If I hit the switch with one hand and have my other hand on the actuator, I can feel the actuator kicking in and out. So I don't believe it's an electrical problem or switch problem. I was wondering if the plastic connectors that hold the rods could be wore enough to allow too much slack or play in the rods. Or if the actuator itself could be wore enough to not engage. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!!!

Visiting Guest

10-04-02, 05:50 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure, have a look at them....

Check alldata.com to see if there are any bulletins there that match your problem.

Search this Thread