Traveling tool box?

Old 09-28-02, 09:46 AM
Thirdeep
Visiting Guest
Traveling tool box?

Hello, I am trying to set up a mobile tool box for my 4x4 pickup truck, and would like have an all purpose type tool box for what ever situation I may encounter. I would like a list of essetial tools that you would want with you while traveling. thank you

Old 09-28-02, 07:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The list will vary...

Go to swapmeets and garage sales and buy up used stuff such as SK, Craftsman and the like. That's what I did today . Got sweet deals. I prefer Craftsman because the guarantee is unbeatable and the quality is quite acceptable.

1) Hammer, pliers, knife.
2) Metric and SAE sockets and wrenches, preferably combination (one side open, one side closed)
3) Electrical tape.
4) Prybar.
5) Torx sockets
6) Wire cutters
7) Rubber mallet.
8) Along with #2, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" rachet heads.
9) Flashlight
10) Work gloves
11) Jumper cables or portable power pack for jumping dead batteries.
12) Lug wrenches.

That should get you started. I constantly add to my "mobile" toolbox all the time. I have more in there than some folks have in their garages.

Old 09-28-02, 08:07 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Don't forget screwdrivers!

You might also want to carry some hand cleaner and rags OR disposable nitrile gloves.

IMHO the 200 piece Craftsman tool set is a pretty good start for an 'on the road' tool box.

Old 09-29-02, 07:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yep, that's right .

Carry both. The gloves will protect your hands, however, you will STILL get dirty so the hand cleaner will help.

I should know about the screwdrivers, I just bought a few of them at the Englishtown Swapmeet yesterday.

I'll return 'em to Sears. Not bad for 2 to 4 bucks each. I drove the seller crazy, he told me the prices were fair and I whipped out a 2002 Craftsman tool catalog from my back pocket with the stock #s, prices, items circled and bookmarked.

He said, "I've been doing this a long time". I said, "Not longer than me, chief". He said, "Those catalog prices are different than the store". I said, "Ya, you're right. I get 10% off the store retail with the Craftsman Club, so you're prices have to be MUCH lower than that".

I got a full 1/4 to 1" Craftsman set, a 1/2 breaker bar and about 5 screwdrivers for 60 bucks

And, they can all be returned to Sears for free under warranty .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: