Ford Aerostar

Old 09-29-02, 09:24 AM
stix309
Visiting Guest
Question Ford Aerostar

My Aerostar has started making a loud cluncking noise on the passenger side front, this does not happen all the time, on a normal road it is not heard until I hit the occasional pot hole or man hole. If I am turning around on the street and back up turning the wheel it is the most noticeable, just one loud clunk and after i come to a stop at a light or stop sign as I release the brake and the suspension unloads the clunk is there but not as loud. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-02, 04:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Year? Mileage? When's the last time the suspension, steering and brakes have been checked?

Old 09-29-02, 04:38 PM
stix309
Visiting Guest
Ford Aerostar

the van is1993 the brakes were done less than 4 months ago, this noise is not there all the time and has only recently started. It is most noticable when I release the brake pedal and the suspension unloads and is only on the right hand side or passenger side, the mileage is approx 202,000 km

Old 09-29-02, 04:45 PM
As Joe said check your suspension particularly your shocks.If its AWD check the cv joints also.

Old 09-30-02, 08:08 PM
rawb
Visiting Guest
aerostars are bad for the stabalizer links wearing out, they'll actually wear a bigger hole in the lower control arm if not repaired. also check for broken coil springs

Old 09-30-02, 11:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the small links that rawb mentioned will cause this problem. They are small "towers with a bushing on either end. One at each end of the sway bar. I don't like the way they are designed on the aerostar. Also worn control arm bushings, possibly shocks, etc..