Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Aerostar

Visiting Guest

09-29-02, 09:24 AM   #1  
stix309
Ford Aerostar

My Aerostar has started making a loud cluncking noise on the passenger side front, this does not happen all the time, on a normal road it is not heard until I hit the occasional pot hole or man hole. If I am turning around on the street and back up turning the wheel it is the most noticeable, just one loud clunk and after i come to a stop at a light or stop sign as I release the brake and the suspension unloads the clunk is there but not as loud. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-29-02, 04:32 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Year? Mileage? When's the last time the suspension, steering and brakes have been checked?

Visiting Guest

09-29-02, 04:38 PM   #3  
stix309
Ford Aerostar

the van is1993 the brakes were done less than 4 months ago, this noise is not there all the time and has only recently started. It is most noticable when I release the brake pedal and the suspension unloads and is only on the right hand side or passenger side, the mileage is approx 202,000 km

09-29-02, 04:45 PM   #4  
As Joe said check your suspension particularly your shocks.If its AWD check the cv joints also.

Visiting Guest

09-30-02, 08:08 PM   #5  
rawb
aerostars are bad for the stabalizer links wearing out, they'll actually wear a bigger hole in the lower control arm if not repaired. also check for broken coil springs

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-30-02, 11:05 PM   #6  
I agree, the small links that rawb mentioned will cause this problem. They are small "towers with a bushing on either end. One at each end of the sway bar. I don't like the way they are designed on the aerostar. Also worn control arm bushings, possibly shocks, etc..

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread