91 Colt Clicking Sound

Old 09-16-02, 06:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
91 Colt Clicking Sound

I had the front bumper replaced on the colt last spring after someone hit it and tore it partway off. When the weather warmed up, I began to hear a clicking sound coming, i think, from the front left side.

At first I thought that it was some plastic flapping inside of the door ( i had some work done on the window track). Later, as the summer has gone on, I realize it is a click coming from the front left tire or something.

(Also, I had new front bearings and tie rods installed about 9 months ago.)

The clicking is worse when i turn the wheel to the right and less to none when I turn to the left.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? What is the best way to determine this? Could it be serious?

Thanks,

IK

Old 09-17-02, 06:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like bad CV joints to me....

Replacement of the whole axle with a rebuilt is the best option. Any shop can check this for you.

Old 09-18-02, 09:04 AM
Is there a way I can check it out myself?

Old 09-18-02, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do a lock to lock turn (steering wheel turned all the way).

If it clunks, clanks or clicks, the joints are wiped.

Old 09-20-02, 10:13 AM
OK. I did the lock to lock turn in both directions and there was no klunking or clicking that I could hear. Also, the click is much quieter now when driving fast and is almost more like a flapping (like the way it sounded when we used a clothes pin to hold a playing card against the spokes of a bicycle wheel, sort of).

I'm beginning to go back to my first hypothesis that there is something stuck in the tire. The only problem with this hypothesis is that the clicking began a few months ago and the tire has not lost any air.

ah, the life of an amateur! you know enough to think about it, but not enough to really know!

any more ideas or suggestions?

Old 09-20-02, 11:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make sure no brake lines or other parts are rubbing the tire.

Believe it or not, this happened on my Saturn. Turns out the brake hose has to be routed EXACTLY like the OEM book says or it will rub!!

Old 09-29-02, 07:36 AM
Geez--old cars!

Now the clicking comes and goes. I took off the tire and inspected it and the wheel well and everything looks ok there. The seal on the bearings looks like new.

I thought there might be a nail or something in the tire since the sound while driving is like a tire with a stud in it (when it happens).

Now the clicking is gone at times, but at other times it is clear as day.

I am hoping this insn't a major problem.

So what would you do in this case?

Old 09-29-02, 07:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I would have pitched that Colt a long time ago, but that's another story .

Rotate the tires front to back. Leave them like that for a while. If the noise goes away or goes to the back, it is wheel and tire related.

If not, it's vehicle related. Tell us what you find.

Old 09-29-02, 03:59 PM
The colt has been cheap transportation. And I can't afford another one right now. so it goes...

that is a good idea. I'll try rotating the tires and let you know what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Old 09-29-02, 04:43 PM
T
Heres something that might be worth a check. On a Subaru I had, one of the bolts that hold the brake caliper on loosened up and fell out. This caused an intermittent clicking sound especially when going over bumps. I was all set to replace the pads when I discovered the problem.... Just a thought.

Old 10-02-02, 08:12 AM
I had the tires rotated yesterday. So far, after 20 miles of driving, there is no apparent clicking sound. But it became intermittent, so I will watch it for awhile. I'll post again if the sound returns.

thanks for all the tips. this one is strange.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: