Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Civic - should I buy it?

Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 02:54 PM   #1  
hondalover
Honda Civic - should I buy it?

Hi, I am considering buying a Honda Civic 1991, 5 speed manual transmission. The asking price is $2250. I saw it in a used car dealership but couldn't test drive it, because they were fixing it. The dealer said they are changing the carburator with a new one. That is all I know about the car, I am going to have a look at it tomorrow, test drive it and examine it.

The car looks in a good shape, but should I worry about the fact that they are changing the carburator? Is there any other deffect that can be connected to changing of carburator? Should I have anything else to consider in connection with this?

Quick replies would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 04:11 PM   #2  
Joe_F
I want to say that year is throttle body, not carbed.

Carburetors on Hondas are trouble when they go bad. Expensive, pesky and hard to work with. Hopefully it's fuel injected.

Like any used car, have it checked out thoroughly by a mechanic from stem to stern to avoid trouble.

Group Moderator

FL

10-02-02, 07:25 PM   #3  
Make them change the timing belt before you drive it away if you do decide to buy it unless they can prove it's been done fairly recently. Broken timing belt on a Civic is about a $1200 (give or take) repair.

Depending on the miles on it, you might also be concerned about how soon it will need a clutch, if it hasn't had one recently. Figure 80-100k miles on a clutch.

10-03-02, 04:36 PM   #4  
IMO stay away from high milage older imports. Not only past their prime, but parts tend to be very expensive, working on a fwd vehicle can be troublesome, and they don't hold their value-meaning they are not really worth fixing.

Stay with a reputable American car that has a good reputation and you will be alright.

On the flip side, if the Honda has less than 120k miles, it might be worth it. I have seen so many people buy used japanese cars with 200 and 300 k miles on them and say "oh but Japanese cars are so reliable, they never break down, they last 500k easy" 200k is still 200k. These same people I have seen junking their cars months later.

Search this Thread