Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

4 bal Quadrajet carb.

Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 05:30 PM   #1  
TECHMAN
4 bal Quadrajet carb.

64 chevy impale 283eng. 4bal quadrajet.--I am overhauling carb and have found a carb. that i have not seen before and the parts store does not have a clue.--The fuel needle that screws down into the fuel bowl, does not screw but is pushed down into the bowl that has two orings on the bottom to seal the fuel.---Now can anyone tell me what year this carb was used on about what veh. so i my get a kits. No it is poss. not fact. but this is what i have and need your help.---Thanks for all input.--Dave P.s.________CARB# 7028212

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 05:58 PM   #2  
Joe_F
It's probably in the late 60's if I had to guess, but I could probably find it in a Rochester engineering book if you are hell bent on figuring it out

Anyhow, it uses the following parts from Standard Motor Products (Hygrade):

1552 carb kit
VN56R needle and seat (should come in the kit)
R64-354 pump piston (either comes in the kit or they supply the pump cup)
CPA38 choke pull off
CV21 choke thermostat.
FL2 float

I believe it's from 1968 if I recall right. Should be correct for a 327 or 350 engine if this vintage. It's a 4MV type (4 barrel, modified jet system, remote choke)

Hope that helps.

Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 06:22 PM   #3  
TECHMAN
Thanks Joe for the info. You have given me something to go on. WIll make a few call tomorrow and we who may stock those parts. Will be back on the road again.----Thanks again----Dave

Visiting Guest

10-02-02, 06:54 PM   #4  
Joe_F
No sweat, easy one .

Those parts or competitive equivalents should be in stock or available in a few days from any parts store. Common enough that larger warehouses would have them around.

Visiting Guest

10-03-02, 11:27 AM   #5  
redneck
Joe, you are correct it is from a '68 chevy. I usually by my kits from NAPA--they handle Echlin (the best kits I've found). I just bought a kit #2-5650A for my #17057263 carb. yesterday $26.69.

Visiting Guest

10-04-02, 08:23 PM   #6  
TECHMAN
Joe , still having pro with carb. kit. Remenber i said that the fuel seat assy has two orings and pushes down into the fuel bowl not srews in. The kit #1552 has the screw in seat. That is all i have ever seen is screw in so i am thinking that i have gotten ahold of a reman carb, that has a repair kit install and i will have to find a needle and seat like the one i have are buy a used fuel bowl. Bet it is a repair kit. owell just a little feed back. _______Dave___--

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 07:10 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I'd have to look at Rochester information I have on Monday to see what the original breakdown for that showed.

If you drop me a line, I'll try to remember to do that for you. My information at home shows what I stated there.

If something has been modified from stock, it's not likely most companies will catch it as the research is based on what the OEM breakdowns show.

10-05-02, 11:27 PM   #8  
Techman, I think there was a late and early version for the the needle and seat and the early version was called a needle and diaphram. Kinda sounds like yours has been converted if this is true or maybe this was an early type fix for stripped threads. I've never seen this setup either. See what Joe comes up with.

You might also want to call or drop an Email to http://www.carbs.net and see if they can shed some light on the problem. Regards-Stevo

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 12:45 PM   #9  
Joe_F
This carb is correct for a 1968 Corvette, Chevy (full size) and Chevy II with a 327 or a 350 engine.

According to the original Delco breakdown book, it uses Delco needle and seat #30-130, GM #7035130.

This should still be available or there's stock of it floating around if GM dropped it.

Tough to tell from the original breakdown, but it looks to be the screw type. Looks like some hokeyness in your particular unit or there was an early and late version.

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 03:58 PM   #10  
TECHMAN
Thanks for all the work joe but i have already set that carb. aside and rebuilt and old carb that is better shape. Pulled it of a older chevy van of about that year mod. I hope to have it running by the weekend. THanks Again for the hard work.--Dave-

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 10:09 PM   #11  
knuckles
AC Delco #30-130 crosses over to a NAPA/Echlin CRB23624. It's still available according to the NAPA website.

Search this Thread