Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

77 F250 auto shifter

MI

10-04-02, 08:40 AM   #1  
77 F250 auto shifter

I have a 77 F250 w auto trans and the shifter collar is busted. They actually call it a flange. Sitting here wishing I had paid a bit more attn and took apart earlier and fix a missing bolt,,, but anyway. Ford still stocks the part and there is another part or 2 missing/broken that even the factory serv manual doesnt show. Has anyone run across a good aftermarket replacement shifter setup for these. There are thousands of them,, I would think someone has done this.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-04-02, 09:31 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You can check with the Ford dealer's parts book (not the service manual) to determine what parts are needed. The parts book should show all that is required, and I'm sure most of it is still available.

MI

10-04-02, 06:39 PM   #3  
I am aware that the dealer has the stuff available yet and that the parts manual is the place to look,,, at that time I had only a service manual in my office,,, so,,, The answer must be no then? You havnt seen an aftermarket fix to these. Ford sold thousands of these and was just curious if someone has something better or if someone had figured out a replacement. I looked at the jobber today and saw a floor shifter but it didnt really appeal to me so I ordered the stuff from Ford but that old is only on microfische and wasnt really clear about the small parts so a bit of guessing was in order,, we see when it comes.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 07:33 AM   #4  
Joe_F
A service manual fixes a vehicle, not orders parts. Oftentimes, the diagrams of the same systems differ...the parts manuals are many times infinitely better. It all depends. First stop I would make if I had an old truck like this, would be to order the parts books from Budco in MI (Ford's parts book vendor). I like to have my own parts information and then tell the dealer what to order. Many a parts guy doesn't care about the old time stuff....anything before 1980 is likely not on any computer system.

Ford's part # system and parts system was never worth 50 cents as it is too easy to make errors and miss needed parts. However, most older dealers have this stuff in books (not fiche) and it's clearer in the old books. Either way, the right parts should show up.

Not sure about a "fix" for them. If anything you would find it online, try www.google.com and see if you can find anything when you plug it in.

Stick with the stock replacement parts and you should be fine.

Search this Thread