Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Jeep Liberty

Visiting Guest

10-04-02, 08:20 PM   #1  
meg1199
Jeep Liberty

Hi there,
Looking at purchasing a 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade......anyone with any personal experience on the Jeep Liberty and it's performance?
Thanks,
Meg

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 07:16 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Too new to really say, but I'd say stay far away.

1) Chrysler's quality is lackluster.

2) Their service is worse.

3) The only reason that the Liberty replaced the Cherokee was because Chrysler felt a nearing 20 year old platform (Cherokee) needed to be replaced and they were missing out on sales.

4) The engine selection in the Liberty is fairly new, and probably not without issues.

5) It's small and cramped in my belief. My mother's friend got one in 2002 and it was wrecked in a week (bad accident). Over 7,000 dollars of damage (might have been head on). An older guy in a front drive Buick walloped into them (I think he was confused).

My sister has a 2002 Tahoe (much bigger) and she says "awesome" every time I ask her about it.

My coworker has a 2000 Durango and came in one morning very flushed. It slipped out of gear when he was getting ready to put his kids into it. It rolled into a parking support and ripped both doors off. There have been reports of his vehicle slipping out of park and what not. The truck is STILL back at the body shop for repairs.

My personal opinion is given Chrysler's track record, stay away.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 04:12 PM   #3  
rljsmith2001
I don't agree with Joe on this one, as a Chrylser Tech I haven't seen any problems with the Liberty's. I don't think they have any more problems than Ford or Chev, I've worked for them also. They all have their problems. Our service is every bit as good as the others if not better. It is a smaller vehicle than the Cherokee and was made for those who wanted a small sport utility vehicle, not replacing the Cherokee which is still going strong. Your entitled to your opinion but don't go bashing other products.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 05:31 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Not bashing it so much as telling the truth.

1) Chrysler is the United States 3rd car maker for a reason. If they were so great, they'd be #1. When either they or Ford eclipse GM, we've got something to go on.

2) My mother's friend was nearly hurt badly by the accident. A 1990 Buick LeSabre wiped out the Liberty like it was tissue paper. Hardly a tough truck . I shudder to think what a car like my 84 Oldsmobile Delta 88 would have done.

3) Chrysler's customer service is lackluster at best. My coworker wasn't the only one with problems on his Durango. My sister had a 1999, by far the worst vehicle she has owned. It was in the shop more than out, and my sister called up Chrysler many a month and outright refused to pay the lease payment...why? The truck was there a good part of the month!! One week it leaked a different fluid EACH day! Chrysler kept her on hold for 30 minutes on a cell phone and promised a tow truck for 5 hours (she was stuck while on vacation). She came short of taking the plates off, renting a car and billing Chrysler for her vacation. In fact, Chrysler outright refused her a rented car while her vehicle was holed up there. Not to mention after fighting with these people they offered her a Neon as a rental when she has three children! Lol. Pathetic.

4) My coworker was nearly killed by his vehicle slipping out of gear. Much to our horror, we found out it is NOT an anamoly with these vehicles...the NHTSA has a few known cases of problems with these and THIS EXACT problem.

5) I believe the Cherokee is out of the lineup. At least my Chrysler E-fiche parts catalog didn't show a 2002 model. The Liberty replaced it to my knowledge. Chrysler bamboozled the public by selling a 1984 designed vehicle through 2001. It is essentially the SAME vehicle as when it first started. Not to mention from 84 to 86, this series Jeep used a GM engine .

6) The Tahoe is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Liberty. Even the S/T Blazer makes the Liberty seem like a toy. My sister turned in the Durango a week early and the salesman said, "So when are we getting you into a new Durango?". My sister pointed her new Tahoe to the salesman and said, "When Chrysler wakes up and can make that."

7) My uncle's 1997 LHS has been nothing but problems since he got it. I was cringing when he told me he was getting it, but I was told not to voice my opinion. Lol. He's dumped an awful lot of money into this pit in 2 years.

No thanks. No Mopar for me. Chrysler went bad in the 1970's and hasn't been good since.

Visiting Guest

10-06-02, 06:42 AM   #5  
invsghost
Joe, please don't speak for everyone. I am sorry that your family has had problems with Chrysler, however not all of us have. I have owned a Chrysler product for 5 years and have no complaints with it or the dealership that it was bought at. Please let those who own these products tell of their experiences, whether good or bad, this way it doesn't sound biased.

Visiting Guest

10-06-02, 07:30 AM   #6  
Joe_F
No one is speaking for everyone. You can state your experience, I'll state mine, the next person states his/hers, and then the original poster can decide.

As I said, it was more than just my family. Coworkers, friends, associaties, etc, all problems.

My friend got a 1997 2.4L Stratus from his mother. The head gasket was blown at 40,000 miles. Chrysler refused to pay for it. Look up "Stratus head gasket" on the Internet and you'll find trails of disgruntled owners with the same problem. Chrysler has "redesigned" the head gasket FOUR times. You don't redesign something four times unless there is a problem.

Take everyone's opinion for what it's worth, mine speaks from experience.

Cheese of this forum was also a Chrysler tech, so I'd be interested in hearing his .02

My .02

Visiting Guest

10-06-02, 04:23 PM   #7  
rljsmith2001
Just to let you know Joe, there is a 2002 and 2003 Cherokee. We have quite a few 2003 Cherokees already on the lot. After Chrysler bought Jeep from AMC they started using Chrysler parts.
Jeep changed quite a bit from the AMC days, especially 99 and up. Good parts guy would know that.

Visiting Guest

10-06-02, 05:58 PM   #8  
meg1199
we purchased it yesterday....traded our 2002 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8 T for the 2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade (we already have a 2002 VW VR6 and we wanted something with more room and 4WD)......I know it's early, but we really like it's performance........

Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 04:01 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I will double check the E-fiche that I receive from Daimler Chrysler to be sure, but I didn't see a 2002 Cherokee on what they provided to us . Can't look up parts for what they do not provide. It used to be the XJ body from them, we'll see what the 2002 E-fiche has to say.

Yes, I am well aware of Chrysler's purchase of AMC in 1987. Chrysler was also chastised and poked for selling the same basic vehicle all those years. It served the line well but Chrysler lacked a small SUV in their line. The Durango was also added in 1998 and everyone I know has problems with them and wouldn't buy it again.

The Liberty looks cheap and flimsy to me and the styling is ugly, but that's relative to each person.

After all the poor customer service I have heard and witnessed at Chrysler, again, no thanks .

Again, for each his/her own for opinion. If you ask me, Chrysler is #3 among the American car companies for good reason.

My .02

Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 04:05 AM   #10  
rljsmith2001
The Cherokee is now a WJ body for the grands. And an XJ for the base model.

Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 06:59 AM   #11  
Joe_F
According to the Daimler Chrysler E-fiche, the XJ body is no more.

The Cherokee and Liberty are put under the KJ body. Even the Vin # breakdown for the KJ body shows the name Cherokee there.

Yes, the WJ replaced the previous ZJ Grand Cherokee.

Either way, the point is moot based on the original post. The poster asked for opinions, got them and made their own choice

Chrysler's quality is highly debatable. Not a place for this forum .

Search this Thread