Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

back firing out of the air intake

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 03:39 AM   #1  
KEONA
back firing out of the air intake

everything is back together now , the car is back firing out of the air intake. my husband was wondering could it be because of the push rod ,or is it because of the firing order on the car is wrong. because we called to get the firing order and they said ,146(left),
325(right),but when my husband check his note it was ,246(left),325(right).could you let me know what is the problem.
95 chevy corsica,v6,3.1L engine.

keona

Sponsored Links

10-05-02, 04:33 AM   #2  
if you look closely at the ignition module just to the left and front of each coil pack it should state each coil order on the module, if you have a pushrod problem it can also cause backfiring.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 06:57 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Each coil has a # on it, and the cylinders should be marked with a number also.

Verify, as BeJay stated, you have the right plug wire on the right cylinder and coil.

What make you think you have pushrod problem? If so, other parts of the engine may be faulty and warrant replacement as well.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 08:32 AM   #4  
KEONA
head gaskets

the reason why he think it is a push rod ,because he just replace the head gaskets .i sent a post earlier about the ordering of the push rods.anyhow do youthink that could be the problem just the firing order is not ridht, or could the push rods be out of order.

10-05-02, 08:50 AM   #5  
Do a compression check.If the pushrods were placed on the incorrect lifter you may have a bent valve.If this is the case he will have to pull the affected cylinder head again and have the valve repaired and replace the pushrod.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 09:31 AM   #6  
KEONA
how do you do a comparsion check

how would you check it on a 95 chevy corsica 3.1L v6, but he also called and check the firing order again by 4 different auto supply stores and the first one he got was wrong, so he's going to try the new one he got ,which is (2,4,6)and (1,3,5), I'll let you know the out come, but could that be the reason it is back firing.If any one have any information on the firing order for this car please inform us.Thank you.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 09:49 AM   #7  
KEONA
now it's knocking

what the knocking noise from? My husband thinks it the oil.

Visiting Guest

10-05-02, 11:14 AM   #8  
Joe_F
This car sounds like it has been cobbled together . I think we are missing some details here, as you keep posting new information.

Please keep one post per vehicle by using your reply button. I see another post on this vehicle which I will close so everyone can follow one post and subsequent replies.

Start with the autolibrary link in my signature file below. The firing order should be there.

If you bent rods and the rest of it, I suggest you install a rebuilt engine. You are better off in the long run and everything is new this way.

10-05-02, 02:12 PM   #9  
2 different length pushrods,like I said bent valve.Engine compression is tested the same on all cars.You are looking for a cylinder that has less than 70% of the average between cylinders.Pull the valve covers off,start the engine I think you'll see a rocker arm not moving as much as the rest.

Search this Thread