1998 Honda Passport - door and window problem

Old 10-05-02, 07:50 AM
waaland
Visiting Guest
Question 1998 Honda Passport - door and window problem

Vehicle: 1998 Honda Passport w/power windows and door locks.

Problem:

1) All windows (except driver) will not open or close.
2) Passenger side doors will not open from inside.

Cronological history:

1) Rear passenger door would not open from inside and window would only open from driver's control panel. Problem was intermittent. Then became permanent.

2) Front passenger window would close but not open from passenger control and would only open (but not close) from driver's control panel.

3) Front passenger door would not open from inside.

4) Rear driver window would not open or close from either control but door still opens from inside.

5) All windows (except driver) will not open or close from either control and passenger side doors will not open from inside.

Notes:

1) Checked that child safety locks (located on rear doors) are set in unlock position.

2) Checked window circuit breaker.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-05-02, 10:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Time for a pot of coffee and a factory wiring diagram. You need to find out what these circuits may have in common. You could have a loose connector in a harness, corrosion or a pinched wire or two. I had a pinched wire in a new Maxima that drove me crazy for months. I would suggest a factory service manual or electrical troubleshooting manual from www.helminc.com

Old 10-06-02, 07:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Before you do that (however, I do recommend the factory manual as Stevo said), check alldata.com for any known bulletins that relate to this problem.

If you find any, have the Honda dealer make you a print out. Then you'll know where to start/what to do.

Old 10-06-02, 08:09 AM
waaland
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your suggestions. I really didn't know where to start.

Update: I removed the power window circuit breaker from the fuse box for a closer look and then put it back in. Now (perhaps unrelated) all windows will open and close from their own controls but still not from the drivers controls.
Also a possibility that the driver's master window lock button may have been stuck.

The 2 passenger doors will still not open from the inside and I am trying to figure out what might cause this. Is there anything electrical that would prevent the opening from the inside?

Old 10-06-02, 09:58 PM
S
If the passenger windows open from their own controls BUT not from the drivers controls than I would be looking for a problem with the circuit from the drivers control panel. You might have the pull the drivers control switches out and give them a closer look. Also the wiring and connectors that go to them. It's hard to diagnose without a wiring diagram. Have you tried your local library for a wiring diagram? You may have to look for Mitchells or Motors manuals to get a good one. Is it possible that water or something else may have gotten spilled into them?

Old 10-07-02, 08:35 AM
waaland
Visiting Guest
Just to clarify: The power door locks operate fine from both the driver and individual controls however the passenger doors themselves will not open when the handle is pulled regardless of the door lock position.

I have checked the drivers control panel however it consists of one self contained unit. I will remove it again and take a closer look at the connectors.

It is possible that the unit could have gotten wet since it is located on the drivers door arm rest which is directly under the window. If the window is open at all during a rain, water does drip directly on that area.

Old 10-08-02, 01:19 AM
S
OOOOOOh! Ok what you are telling us is that the passenger doors will not open by using the handle on the inside or the outside? If this is the case than i would expect that you have mechanical problems inside the passenger doors that may have been caused by the electric door lock motors/solenoids. Its there job to not only move the door lock buttons but to also move the linkage that connects to the latching mechanism inside the door. Will the doors open if you fiddle around with the door lock button with your fingers? As long as the buttons are moving than there is no real electrical problem unless you have a bad ground or lock motors/solenoids are sluggish.

Old 10-08-02, 07:26 AM
waaland
Visiting Guest
That is correct. I am glad that I clarified the problem.

The door lock buttons go up and down fine and do correctly control access from the outside but the doors cannot be opened from the inside door lever.

It seemed that this would be some sort of mechanical linkage. I guess I should remove a door panel and see what's going on. I may be able to get a better idea of whats not happening that should.

I will let you know what I find.

Thanks

Old 10-20-02, 04:15 PM
waaland
Visiting Guest
Talking

UPDATE:

1) After taking off the drivers door panel, I was able to isolate the wires that control the drivers window. Applying power directly to the 2 wires opened the window. Reversing the wires closed the window. I then determined that there was a short in the drivers window control panel (electronic circuit board is inside unit) probably caused by rain water. Checked and found out that this part must be dealer ordered ($140 - $160) .
I disconnected the 2 driver side wires from the control assembly and installed a generic power window switch ($4.95) using T-splicing connectors where needed for a clean job.
All windows now operate from their individual controls and driver's control can still close other windows after they have been opened. Power door locks and window locks can still be operated by driver's control. This is completely acceptable until I can afford to fork out the $$$ for a new driver' s switch assembly.

2) Identified that not being able to open the 2 passenger doors from the inside was not related to the window switch problem. The problems just happened to occur at the same time.
When I had the driver's door apart I looked to see how the inside latch was connected and operated.
I then removed the 1 screw that holds the door latch in place on the passenger doors and found that the plastic end of the connecting rod had popped out of the latch handle. I just popped it back in and replaced the screw.
Both passenger doors were fixed in less that 10 mins.

Thank you all for your help with this. It's great to have everything working again!

Old 10-20-02, 10:00 PM
S
I'm glad to hear you made some progress and thanks for getting back to us. It helps everyone. For your switch you can always try www.car-part.com for a used one or search the web for some Honda discount parts places. You should be able to save at least 25% or more on the web. Good luck-Stevo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: