Mercury Villager

Old 10-06-02, 09:53 AM
Mercury Villager

I have a 2002 Mercury Villager. According to the maintenance manual, the transmission fluid needs to be changed at 30,000 miles if you have 1 of 4 transmission models. Does anybody know how I can tell which transmission I have.

Thank-you
Sal

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-02, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but what do the OTHER three require? If you want it to last, have the transmission serviced at LEAST every 30,000 miles regardless of the model. The tranny in my wrecker gets fluid change every 10k and filter every other fluid change (20k). Currently has 230,000 miles since tranny was last opened up.

Old 10-06-02, 10:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On the door jamb, there is sticker with all of the codes. If you bring it to the dealer, they can tell you by the codes which tranny you have.

I do agree with TowGuy on the filter and fluid changes. Best thing you can do for the vehicle's tranny.

Old 10-06-02, 12:33 PM
Actually they do not mention an interval for any other transmission. Sounds like changing it is a good idea regardless. What do you think about the service that removes the fluid without dropping the pan? Do they really do the job or should I go to a place that will drop the pan and change the filter?

Sal

Old 10-06-02, 12:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some vehicles now do not "require" fluid and filter changes. However, if the fluid and filter are serviceable, this is the way to go.