Which dealer should I trust?

Old 10-03-02, 12:39 PM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
Which dealer should I trust?

My fiancée and I have a 2000 Chevy Prizm with about 25,000 miles on it, and it has the original rear brakes. Over the past several months the rear brakes developed an obvious grinding noise when they are initially applied after the car has set overnight or for 10 hours or so. It sounds as if there is grit or dirt between the pads and drums but the noise goes away after the first or second time the brakes are applied. We have taken it in to the dealer twice before but they were not able to correct the problem either time. First they said there was a broken retaining pin that held one of the rear breaks in position. They fixed this under the warranty but it did not correct the grinding noise. The next time they said that the rear breaks were not properly adjusted when the work had be done before, and they said that neither the broken pin or this adjustment problem caused any damage to the pads or drums. This still did not correct the grinding noise. Now we have the taken the car to a different dealer for a second opinion. They say the drums are warped and have hot spots, and believe it looks as if the emergency brake was left on while driving. They suggested that for $90 we have the drums turned and the pads sanded and that should take care of the problem. They said that even though we have had problems before with these brakes it would not be covered under warranty. I am not sure what to do now or who to believe. Could the broken pin or the mis-adjustment cause the drums to warp? Should I go ahead and have them turned? Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 10-03-02, 01:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get on the blower to Chevy corporate and take them to task.

Tell them to fix the problem CORRECTLY this time and at no charge. You will likely have to be a bit stern with them to get your way.

Old 10-03-02, 01:44 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe that the grinding and vibration is caused by warped drums and/or glazing on the pads. That's a common problem, not normally covered by warranty. BUT, since you have clearly pointed this out a number of times to the dealer, and they have not correctly diagnosed the problem...... they should eat the $90 to keep a happy customer. Good luck... (and trade-in the Geo as soon as you can! Small GM cars are dogs! )

Old 10-04-02, 03:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Actually, this "GM" car is a Toyota, so you have Toyota to blame on this one . Lol.

Old 10-04-02, 04:44 AM
R
Ha ... you got me Joe! You're right... I think it's a Corolla twin. If that's the case, it's probaby worth keeping! GMs are still dogs, though.

Old 10-04-02, 04:59 AM
What kind of brakes have both 'drums' and 'pads' on the same axle? If the dealer's service technician discussed pads in a drum brake system rather than linings, I would be rather suspect of his skills and knowledge.

Old 10-04-02, 05:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some vehicles have miniature "brake shoes" for the parking brake and disc for the service brakes . I can recall some European cars like this.

But anyhow, I suggest the original poster go to Chevy Corporate and get them to repair the problem for free.

Old 10-04-02, 03:04 PM
D
I think the lining is absorbing moisture overnight.This may explain why it only does it once or twice.Have you left it at either dealer overnight?The reason I believe its moisture is because the brake operate normally after you hit the brakes twice correct?Guess what if you have hot spots they didn't disappear did they?It is normal for some brake linings to absorb moisture in humid climates.I don't know where you live but this very possible from your description.

Old 10-04-02, 04:45 PM
Agree with Davo,

It is normal for drum rear brake Toyota's to produce that same grinding noise on first few brake applications.

Larry

Old 10-08-02, 07:03 AM
sschulte
Visiting Guest
I agree with you guys Davo and toyotaman11769. I did a little research on the internet and found out it is normal for the combination of the moisture and the brake dust to cause this noise. Instead of having the dealer turn the drums I just had them cleaned. The noise has gone away for now. Thanks for all the advise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: