Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wrong spark plug size

IN

10-06-02, 04:06 PM   #1  
wrong spark plug size

hi

1994 cutlass supreme

3.1 V6 Engine

I wanted to tune up my car and bought spark plugs but when I was putting them in, they didn't match up with the old ones. Plus, the factory gap was supposed to be .60 inches but it was more like .35 inches. I put them in anyway.

It turns out the manual says the replacement plugs should be #AC Type R44LTSM6 but the store sold me AC Type R44LTS. No letter M6 after it. I test drove the car and it sounds good.

What is goiing to happen in the long run?

thanks

bob

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 03:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely the same thread and all, but replace them with the proper type. They need to be the proper length, heat range and type. That is why the part #s differ.

Replace it with the proper part #. I always double check what I get versus the underhood sticker or service manual.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-07-02, 08:00 PM   #3  
I agree. If they are far too hot, they could actually cause damage to the top of the pistons. They may also affect the fuel consumption, power, emissions, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

10-08-02, 04:51 AM   #4  
working on the cutlass supreme is so difficult. you need to actually move the motor forward to gain access to the spark plugs and even then, you are doing it blind.

however, i don't want to damage the pistons. But, i must say, the car is running well with the new spark plugs.

Can I leave them in?

thanks

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 05:39 AM   #5  
Joe_F
No! They are the wrong spark plugs. Replace them .

Search this Thread