Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Auto Repair

Visiting Guest

10-06-02, 07:24 PM   #1  
jimogden
Auto Repair

I own a 1995 150 Ford Van, 5.8 L engine. it stalls out like a vapor lock intermittantly. the first time it happened was when the weather was in the 90's and very hot and in heavy traffic. Since then it is not so particular, sometimes it is 70 degrees It will pick back up for a short time, then slowly die. If you set for 30-45 minutes it will start again. I have changed the oxygen sensor, thermostat, rotor button, distributor cap, spark plugs and wires. It does not register hot. The last time we had it out, we had been on the road for maybe 2 hours, no stress on the van, not pulling anything, in the 70's, after 2 hours it died, we waited 30 minutes, then it started, drove for 20 miles, did it again, this repeated it self 4 times in a 4 hour time span, needless to say, we will not be taking it out again untill we figure it out. We were told to sell it, but this does not fix the problem, our local garage, gave up on it after two trips in. Has this happened to anyone else? And how did you fix it??????

Sponsored Links

10-06-02, 08:29 PM   #2  
just short of guessing you will have to have it diagnosed and not many shops are willing to drive the vehicle for 2 hours to see it act up, i would suggest you get a fuel pressure guage hook it up and drive it until it does die out and see if it is losing fuel pressure, if pressure is within spec you should check for fire at the coil when vehicle will not start back up.

Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 03:50 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with BeJay. The ignition module is a known bad spot on these and has never been properly fixed by Ford....even though it's the subject of a class action suit (If yours is mounted on the side of the distributor...not all are).

You might choose to call up Ford and see if your van is covered by the TFI ignition module recall and go from there.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-07-02, 08:03 PM   #4  
I also agree that this sounds like it may be due to a loss of fuel pressure...possibly because of a bad fuel pump or filter. Check it with a gague.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread