Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brake shoe movement

Visiting Guest

10-07-02, 09:22 PM   #1  
buzzard
brake shoe movement

I have a 1990 Ford Mustang LX hatchback 2.3L. The rear brake shoes, brake springs, and wheel cylinders were replaced about 6,000 miles ago and a problem has developed on the driver's side. The front brake shoe gets pushed up and off center to the hub causing the top of the shoe to grind metal to metal against the drum. I have recentered the brakes three times and shortly thereafter it happens again. The brakes and hardware are installed as directed in my Haynes manual and just like the passenger side which has no problems. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 03:31 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Check to make sure the brake pads are right for the application. Replace both caliper bolts. Inspect the calipers closely for missing, loose or damaged parts.

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 08:40 AM   #3  
buzzard
brake shoe movement again

Originally posted by Joe_F
Check to make sure the brake pads are right for the application. Replace both caliper bolts. Inspect the calipers closely for missing, loose or damaged parts.
The response I received to my thread was regarding disc brakes, however, my question was about rear drum brakes on a 1990 Ford Mustang. Sorry if I didn't relay my question clearly.

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 09:41 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Check the backing plate to make sure the holes are not oblonged or oversized from age. If they are, the backing plate has to be replaced.

10-08-02, 04:42 PM   #5  
Have you checked the operation of the parking brake cables,specificaly for releasing.Does the problem arise after braking in reverse?

10-09-02, 02:04 AM   #6  
You might have a bad shoe also. If you did not have this problem before you changed the shoes. what you could do is switch the shoes from one side to the other. Left wheel to right wheel. Also take a look at the way you have the shoes and springs assembled on the good side and make sure the bad side is set up the same way. It only takes one little spring wrong to create a problem. Are your drums ok and not cut too far oversize, did you have them cut?
Make sure that the primary shoe (with the short lining) faces the front of the vehicle; the secondary, to the rear.

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 07:07 PM   #7  
nbjp160
check for grooves cut into the backing plate from the old shoes.
may need to replace the backing plate.

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

10-10-02, 07:18 PM   #8  
Sounds like the self adjuster may be hung up and not adjusting the shoes out.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-10-02, 10:06 PM   #9  
If there is way too much slack in the brake adjustment, you may get this problem. Are they adjusted up like they should be?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread