Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 nissan quest blower problem

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 07:51 AM   #1  
vscj
94 nissan quest blower problem

We have a 94 nissan quest with about 86,000 miles on it. Noticed anytime you have the blower on, you'll feel like a skip or a thud every few seconds when idleing.Its hard to describe. It only happens when the blower is on whether its a/c,defogger,heat etc.It seems ok when not on. Any ideas? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 09:42 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Hard to say, too vague.

Does it with the A/C on too? Only A/C? Only heat?

Coming from the engine or blower? Last time the car saw service?

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 10:29 AM   #3  
vscj
We purchased the minivan a few weeks ago.It feels like its coming from under the van. It happens with the heat on, the a/c on, defogger on, etc. But not when nothing like that is on.

Visiting Guest

10-08-02, 10:34 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Get a better idea where the noise might be coming from. The fan itself, the A/C compressor etc. Listen carefully or look around when it happens again to try to pinpoint where it's coming from.

10-08-02, 04:03 PM   #5  
I tend to agree with Joe I would look at the a/c compressor closer.Do you have this problem in the vent position?Are your belts tight?Does the van have climate control or standard heat and air.

Visiting Guest

10-09-02, 06:22 PM   #6  
vscj
I believe it is standard heat and air.Yes it does it when in vent position . I will try to clarify more. Its not a loud sound, it is more of a feeling. I want to say it feels like a shudder or a slip in the transmission.You can hear it but more feel it.It is felt whenever the heat, a/c, or blower is used in any way.Its not felt while driving. Only when idleing such as stopped at a light.But if none are in use you don't feel it.

10-09-02, 07:03 PM   #7  
Have someone watch the A/C compressor at idle while you are inside the vehicle. You will see the clutch engage and disengage and feel a thud when this happens. I will almost bet you that the compressor is cycling on and off and this is the thud you feel. It is possible that this is normal for your vehicle or it's possible that you are low on Freon and one of the pressure switches is cycling more than what it should. Have you ever had the A/C system tested or recharged?

Visiting Guest

10-11-02, 07:07 AM   #8  
vscj
The a/c was charged and checked for any leaks soon after purchase,several weeks ago. Could it be possible to be the a/c compressor if it happens when your not using the a/c? but say heat instead? Thanks for all the input, this is so frustrating!

Visiting Guest

10-11-02, 07:46 AM   #9  
Joe_F
You'd have to duplicate the problem for a shop to figure it out, or describe the noise a little better. Remember we are likely miles away from the machine and you have to be our eyes and ears.

1) Does the compressor clutch wobble?
2) What service work was done to the A/C?
3) What is the history of the vehicle?
4) Does alldata.com show any bulletins or recalls relating to this problem? First place to check!

etc, etc.etc.

Search this Thread