ticking noise

Old 10-08-02, 06:34 PM
mlee
Visiting Guest
Question ticking noise

i have a 95 grand am w/ 185k on it. when the motor is at operating temp and u give it the gas, u can here a "distinctive" ticking noise coming from the motor. I say distinctive because at start up u can here the lifters, but at a higher temperature there is a second tick. it has a 3.1 ohv is it posssible of push rod or lifters are bad and are they adjustable
thanx
mlee

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-02, 06:54 PM
They are not adjustable.At that mileage anything is possible,you may have a connecting rod knock.

Old 10-08-02, 07:00 PM
mlee
Visiting Guest
Question reply

are the connecting rods repairable? what are my options?

Old 10-08-02, 07:11 PM
I really suggest someone whom is used to engine noise help yo verify the sound first its very distinct.Yes you can repair with new engine bearings,if it's not to bad yet.

Old 10-08-02, 07:26 PM
mlee
Visiting Guest

Originally posted by davo
I really suggest someone whom is used to engine noise help yo verify the sound first its very distinct.Yes you can repair with new engine bearings,if it's not to bad yet.
would it be worth it to get it looked at or should I start looking for a used or to rebuild? also, the milage should of been in km instead of miles

Old 10-08-02, 07:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the oil pressure? Start by checking it with a reliable hand-held gauge.

Old 10-08-02, 08:10 PM
mlee
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
How's the oil pressure? Start by checking it with a reliable hand-held gauge.
the oil pressure is perfect. No knowledge of leaks or loss of power. I am just wondering if it is something that i should be worried about. Also, I had a liscenced technician tell me to just change from 5w30 to 10w30 and so dura-lube. so, thats why i am searching for a second opinion. also, if the bearings are not too hard to install i liked to try it myself to get my hands dirty.

Old 10-08-02, 08:14 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
tick

Maybe sparkplug wires are arcing to ground somewhere or distrib. cap. Press plug boots firmly in or change the cables

Old 10-09-02, 02:32 AM
3.1 engines were notorious for coming out of the factory with sloppy piston wrist pins. the pins were made undersize and the holes in the pistons were oversized. That is not a problem other than ticking noise on start up. the ticking noise you hear now is probably from your timing chain, gears or dampener. Maybe from a serpentine belt idler pulley also. Have you ever changed the timing chain and gears?

Old 10-09-02, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When you say the oil pressure was perfect, how was it verified, who did it and what instrument did they use?

Old 10-09-02, 11:47 AM
mlee
Visiting Guest
Question reply

Originally posted by Joe_F
When you say the oil pressure was perfect, how was it verified, who did it and what instrument did they use?
no one checked it I thought that u can determine that from how much your engine used. how do u check the pressure

Old 10-09-02, 12:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Oil pressure and consumption are two different animals.

Oil pressure should be checked by a professional technician with a hand-held gauge (not the dashboard gauge). The pressure gotten from the engine is then compared to what is listed in the OEM service manual or specification and then you can determine if the vehicle has an oil pressure problem.

First step. Must do this before going any further.