VW Relays

Old 10-09-02, 10:30 AM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
VW Relays

Hi,

I have an 88 Jetta in which the gas pump relay has died. The garage told me to change the fuse box as well. When i brought in the new ( well, at least new to me ) one, they told me they needed the old one to figure out where to put the relays. The problem is that when they took off the fuse box, they disconnected everything from it. Now they tell me it'll take a few days for them to get it fixed. My car has already been in the shop for 3 days, and i find it ridiculous that these guys cant find out this information any quicker, so i'm trying to find out myself so i can get my car out of that horrible garage and do it myself.

Thanks for any help!!

Mr.Crud

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-02, 10:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What is wrong with the fuse box that it has to be replaced?

If so, that's a bit of a daunting task to get it all right. Give them time to figure it out. 3 days is not long in a shop depending on the extent of the problem.

Old 10-09-02, 10:55 AM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
The mecanic said it was working, but that there was some green corrosion starting to form...

In order ti find one at a scrap yard, i had to bring the old with me, but when they took it off, they took off everything...

The only thing that we know isnt working is the fuel pump relay.

Mr.Crud

Old 10-09-02, 11:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tell them to get a wiring schematic for the vehicle from Alldata or the VW factory book so they can find where it all goes.

Old 10-09-02, 11:04 AM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
That's pretty much what i've tried to explain to them. This documentation has to be somewhere!!!

Also, it not even like their a small shop. This is a huge garage chain around here. Lack of ressources is not an excuse for them.

I am on Alldata right now trying to find out what i need myself, but since i dont have a credit card, i cant access what i need.

Cheers!

Mr.Crud

Old 10-09-02, 11:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call the shop and tell them to order the needed schematics for your car. It is 25 bucks a year.

Any shop that doesn't have access to, or is willing to pay for schematics and diagrams like that (and subsequently bill the customer) is one to stay away from.

It's like trying to fix the Space Shuttle with an adjustable wrench! Lol.

In the same way, would you venture into another town without a road map? Not likely. Same way with auto repair!

Old 10-09-02, 11:28 AM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
There is no way in hell these guys would get that subscription...

I've learned my lesson about these guys...

The objective now is just to get my car running enough to be able to bring it somewhere i can trust. I only went there because i was stranded and they we're the closest thing.

After going through the demo at alldata, i'm not sure they will have the information regarding the location of each relay on the fuse box. Are you sure they'd have this? If yes, i'll try to get a subscription myself.

Thanks!

Old 10-09-02, 12:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They are usually pretty good. You can also try the autolibrary.org link I have below to see if they have what you want.

Again, the OEM manual is the best way to fix the vehicle.

I would get my car out of there now. There is no telling what these guys will do by guessing as to what goes where there.

Lesson learned: Cheap service is no service. Any shop that doesn't invest in tools (of which diagnostic information is one of them) is a place that shouldn't be in business.

Old 10-09-02, 08:47 PM
Mr. Crud you might try either of these 2 links to get some Factory service/wiring manuals on your Jetta.

www.bentleypublishers.com
www.books4cars.com