Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L "Check Engine" light Problem

Visiting Guest

10-09-02, 07:59 PM   #1  
phillyphil
1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L "Check Engine" light Problem

Hi all,

Got a friend who's got a 1996 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 automatic with a/c (99k miles), and he's got a problem. His check engine light has came on and stayed on. He took it to Auto Zone, they read the codes from the car, which came up with the following code: P1443; something to do with "Emissions Control-Systems Control Valve", but apparently that's all the info he got with the code. AutoZone said it's the type of code that he'll have to take the vehicle to the dealer in order for them to figure out the problem. I think otherwise. What say you? Thanks in advance.

phillyphil

ps Turning the a/c on in his car, the temperature has recently started to climb (about halfway up the guage; a lot hotter than normal). The air has been working, though. Could this have anything to do with it?

Sponsored Links

10-09-02, 08:30 PM   #2  
P1443

Manufacturer Description
Ford (Truck) Evaporative Emission Control - Vacuum System Purge Control Solenoid or Purge Control Valve Malfunction

Probable Cause=Wiring, EVAP valve, Engine Control Module

P1443 EVAP Vacuum System, Purge or VMV Fault
Several conditions can cause this code to be set. A loose or broken gas cap, a damaged carbon canister, damaged or plugged fuel vapor hose, a damaged purge solenoid, Purge Flow (PF) sensor or Vapor Management Valve (VMV) are all possible causes. A multimeter or scan tool can be used to test the components.

I have never shot this bug but I hear that if you remove the gas cap while the engine is running this code will set. I have seen other posts that have fixed it by replacing the valve or sensor or gas cap.

For some more info try going to www.google.com and do a search using Ford P1443. Be sure to include Ford in your search parameter as P1443 can mean something different to other car makes.

As for the temperature problem, replace the thermostat and flush the cooling system to start with.

Search this Thread