Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge Transmission

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 05:47 AM   #1  
tammytoo22
Dodge Transmission

I have a 1994 Dodge Ram Van B250, 6 cyl /3 speed auto transmission/A900 ser/32RH. One day going down the road about 55 MPH the van started making a noise like the RPMs where going up,but the van was going the same speed. I have changed what the Dealer calls the AIS motor, and also changed out the Throttle Pos Sensor. I have Changed the oil in the Transmission, and adjusted the blets. It does sound a lot better, but it is having a hard time changing gears between 2nd and 3rd, and the sound that it was making, is still there, just not as loud as it was, almost like the motor is going but the van isn't. Can anyone tell me what I need to do next?

Thanks, Tammy

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 06:31 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Change the transmission fluid and filter. The first thing to check is the condition and level of the fluid.

If changing the fluid and filter doesn't help, it likely has internal failure in the tranny...rebuild time .

How many miles on it? When was the last time the transmission was serviced?

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 06:45 AM   #3  
tammytoo22
Great condition

The only service that has been done to the Transmittion is the change the oil, and I've done that. The condition of the oil was great, no metals in the oil and clean. The van has 198,000 miles on it. Someone at the deal, when I talked to them on the phone said the this transmittion said that most of the problems they have with this type a transmittion is with the Throttle body lever or the cable adjustment. Can you give me some advice about adjusting the Throttle valve Cable? Call it women's intuition, but for some reason I think it's more than just a rebuild. Sometime it will run just fine...then it will start doing is again. It's not a problem that is here all the time.

Thanks, Tammy

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 07:22 AM   #4  
tammytoo22
More information

I checked the code that flash up on the dash. The code I am getting is a 45 which is Overdrive Solenoid. Problem detected in the overdrive solenoid circuit. I didn't think a 3 speed had an overdrive solenoid, if it does do you have any idea where I would start looking for it at?

Thanks, Tammy

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 08:06 AM   #5  
Joe_F
It may have a shift solenoid in the tranny which could be faulty.

Worth a trip to a competent tranny shop to have them have a look and a test drive with you.

The TV cable could be out of adjustment or stretched, but you should consult the factory literature for any adjustments to it.

You can check autolibrary.org below, but they might not have anything on it.

The tranny is on borrowed time with that many miles....

Visiting Guest

01-11-03, 12:27 PM   #6  
tammytoo22
Dodge fixed now

Just thought I would let you know I got my van fixed. I changed out the Fan clutch, and everything started running just fine now. It was a long process to get to this point, but the van runs great now...Thanks for you help.

Tammy

Search this Thread