Leaking cylinder

Old 10-10-02, 08:05 PM
Leaking cylinder

Car is a 1996 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer, 6 cyl, mileage of 48.5K. I took my car to a Ford "Quick Lane" shop for an oil change. Half an hour later, the counter person told me that the mechanic saw coolant leaking. Further stated the mechanic pressure tested it and concluded a cylinder was leaking or possibly a cracked head. Is it possible to have this problem without physically seeing a liquid spill (leak) on my garage floor? Also, same problem would have the gauge go red and engine overheat? Anyway, I said I'll think about it when he gave a $1700 estimate. So I drove 15 freeway miles back to my home while glancing now and then at the instrument clusters (temperature and the engine monitor). It was a normal drive, the needle reached mid and the temperature normal. I got in my garage and looked and waited to see if any coolant was leaking but none. I think these guys are pulling my leg. What you say, Joe and the other experts?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-02, 08:21 PM
something doesnt sound right, the fact that they said they saw coolant leaking and pressure tested the system, if coolant was leaking into a cylinder as they can do to a leaking head gasket or cracked head you will not see any leaks visibly it will be leaking internaly and get burned when engine starts up, i have seen head gaskets leak externaly and you would notice a leak on the ground but never a cracked head, i would suggest you atleast keep an eye on your coolant level to see if it loses any and on the ground for that matter if you notice a loss get a second opinion.

Old 10-10-02, 09:16 PM
You would have to be using coolant either way. Do you have to fill the radiator or overflow tank on a regular basis? If not-than I dont believe you have a problem...also 30 minutes is too fast to do a proper leakdown test and estimate. Watch the temp, coolant level...if they're ok...you're ok.

Old 10-10-02, 11:16 PM
Leaking cylinder

Thanks for the quick replies. For sure, I'll be getting several opinions. I only drive this car occasionally as per its low mileage and usually get second look from people. I'll definitely be checking on the coolant level from now on. Again, thanks.

Old 10-11-02, 03:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with all written here. Get a 2nd opinion.

Old 11-05-02, 09:55 PM
Leaking Cylinder

Good news from the pressure test - 35psi, and the cylinder wasn't cracked. My "good" friend did it for $520 (parts and labor) compared to $1700.

Old 11-06-02, 05:58 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Your "good" friend charged you $520 for a leak down test?

Old 11-06-02, 11:29 PM
Leaking Cylinder

Sorry I miscommunicated. The price included the pressure test ($35.00), parts (gaskets, thermostat, bolts, top/lower hoses, freon charge, etc.) and labor was $200.00.

Old 11-07-02, 09:37 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
That is not bad.