rattle/vibration under car

Old 10-11-02, 08:46 AM
Question rattle/vibration under car

I have a vibration/rattling sound on the under carriage of my car. Mechanic was "too busy" to test drive the car & "thinks" it is the bottom cover of the catalytic converter. Said not to worry & just to let it fall off. Does this sound right? Should I have a mechanic remove it? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-02, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The type of car would be a collosal start for us to help.

No the mechanic is dead wrong and shouldn't be in business for telling you that.

Either the bottom of the converter is rotted and falling off, or the heat shield is broken. In either case, it should be repaired.

Heat shields are there for a reason.

Old 10-11-02, 10:35 AM
Thanks for your help. The car is a 1997 Subaru Outback. I just called the dealer. He agreed-the mechanic should not have said that. The dealer said that as long as I dont park on the grass, the lower cover is not needed. He will remove it for me next week. I dont want it to fall off while I am driving & possible hurt another car.

Old 10-11-02, 11:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I doubt the dealer is right. The cover is there for a reason, which they've alluded to--heat protection. I would have it replaced or at minimum refastened.

Old 10-11-02, 03:55 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
rattle test

Standard test to check your exhaust system for looseness is to stand at the back of the car,reach down and grab the tailpipe and give it a good shake.This will shake the entire network of pipes and if you hear no rattle then look elsewhere.Sometimes a clamp loosens and slides down one of the pipes and rattles or what happened to me once was something not needed was removed such as a shield and a clamp was left on and because the shield it was clamped to was removed, the clamp that was left on was loose and rattled.

Old 10-11-02, 04:29 PM
The lower converter cover is to protect against fire starting while parked in grass.If you call around you may find a shop that could reattach with a mig welder using stainless steel wire.Some times they can be repaired by joining 2 or more large worm drive hose clamps which is very diy.You could have small stones in between the shield and converter also causing the rattle.Or maybe the converter itself is bad rattleling internally.If it's an exhaust problem in the first place may something else.