changing ac hoses

Old 10-12-02, 09:00 AM
changing ac hoses

Hey,
I'm basically looking for opinions on this subject.How important is it to change the hoses on my gauge set to avoid contaminating my 134 a system with r12,if the hoses have previously been used on an r12 system?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-02, 12:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Unless your gauges are specific for both refrigerants (and there are gauge sets that work with both), do not mix the two.

Not to mention that R134A gauges are calibrated differently/do not take the same charge as/are not compatible with their 12 counterparts.

Old 10-17-02, 09:24 AM
Hey,
I know completely about not mixing them and their incompatibility. I'm just wondering about the (SP)minute amount that could be left in a hose.Could this small amount of r-12 actually damage or create havoc on an r-134 system.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-17-02, 05:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Then ya know the answer . Cannot be mixed, should not be mixed. Separate gauge set for both.

Old 10-17-02, 06:02 PM
a/c hoses

If you have a vacuum pump the hoses can be reused,provided you can find fittings to attach to r134a.The hoses are threaded differently.So if you find adaptors you need to pull vacuum on the entire gauge set for at least 30 minutes(1-2 hours recommended)that will boil excess refrigrerant from the gauge set.Then you can recharge your a/c system barring any leaks you may have.R134a leaks faster due to molectular structure(smaller atoms)than r12.So if it leaks it will leak faster.R134a will not carry refrigerant dye through small leaks because the dye is carried in oil.Which because(the oil)has larger molecular structure than r134a.You could also lose cooling effects from your a/c as much as 8 degrees.If you do have a leak repair it because if you convert to r134a you will only add 80% of the original r12 charge.Meaning you have less leeway on your charge.