93 mazda b2200 valve stem seals

Old 10-12-02, 04:14 PM
JasonR73
Visiting Guest
Question 93 mazda b2200 valve stem seals

1993 mazda b2200 2.2 4cyl carb.

Looking for advice. I will be replacing the valve stem seals and not sure what I'm going to run into. I have a haynes manual, but there is always something they do not address.

Is there a way to replace the seals without removing the rocker arms? I understand that the bolts holding the rocker arms in place also hold the head to the engine block. Is it a possibility that the cylinder head would separate from the block with those bolts removed? Also, what type of problems am I likely to encounter getting the old valve seals off? Is this a job that can be done without removing the valves?

The haynes manual instructons say to have a professional do this job. I'm probably getting in over my head, but i have another vehicle to drive if I end up needing a couple of weekends to do this. My point is...I'm looking for advise on how to do it. I already know I probably should not do this.

Thanks to all who respond.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-02, 07:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It may take a machine shop to do it, and do it right. The thing to consult is the factory service manual for the procedure.

Why are you changing them? The problem may not be there.

Old 10-12-02, 07:22 PM
i would imagine the best way to do this is to remove the cylinder head take the valve seals out of the head gasket set you purchase and take them and the head to machine shop to have checked out and replace any worn valves and guides that may need to be replaced, the head may even need milled cause it is likely warped past specs and they will install the seals for you when they put it back together.
as far as just replacing the valve seals with the head on vehicle it would require a valve spring compressor that is capable of compressing spring which is not possible on alot of heads due to design, and an air compressor to apply compressed air into the cylinder to prevent the valve from dropping into cylinder, usually tapping on the spring retainer lightly with a hammer to loosen the keepers so they come off easily when compressed, i dont really know if it can be done this way on this model or not but the preffered way and seeing how you have a couple of weeks would be to remove the head.