Just up and quit on me.Tracker GMC.need ideas

Old 10-12-02, 08:57 PM
zoejane
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Just up and quit on me.Tracker GMC.need ideas

91 GMC Tracker/Suzuki engine - won't start. died at shopping mall.just quit. No sputtering..nothing. No prewarning. just won't start. turns over. has fuel coming through to engine.Has spark. Please don't tell me it is the computer. Any ideas. Car has been no trouble before.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-02, 10:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Spark must be fat, blue and consistent or it is not good enough.

I assume this is a throttle body and you can see fuel in the unit? Try spraying a little carburetor cleaner in the TBI unit. If the vehicle fires up and then dies, it's a fuel problem.

Old 10-13-02, 07:51 AM
zoejane
Visiting Guest
Tracker, GMC wont start

Apologies, tracker is fuel injected. did have help and took off a fuel line in the engine. gas did spurt out. friend says spark looks good to him.

I am a female who has difficulty with the engine terminology but will try my best to understand, I must fix this vehicle myself so any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Oh, one question: Would the vehicle start if one of the sensors, ie, coolant sensor, ox sensor were not working or would it just turn over as it does.

I do not know how to get the codes...make dash lights flash. I don't have a "scanner" there is a way to use a wire, but I dont know where the "thing" is that causes the dash lights to flash the codes.

thanks

Old 10-13-02, 08:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The fuel and spark must be at the right quantity at the right time or the vehicle will not run.

Taking the line off the throttle body and seeing gas spurt out is not a valid test. It has to be checked with a fuel pressure gauge.

I suggest you have the vehicle towed in for service, if you cannot get it running with what I have in my "The Basics" post below.

Old 10-13-02, 09:15 AM
zoejane
Visiting Guest
I read up on fuel injection and spark ect. States that a hesitation may occur if getting too much oxygen. This was happening when I stepped on the gas. Indicates that it could be the oxygen sensor. Will have it towed I guess, can't really afford it.
Thanks for your help

Old 10-13-02, 12:40 PM
zoejane
Visiting Guest
you were right, fuel problem

Found a fuel injector in the throttle body, when it is in place no fuel come through. When it is out of the throttle body, fuel gushes out. Can these injectors be fixed?? They want $400 for one. Could the computer be telling it not to work, say, if the O2 sensor wasn't working?

Old 10-13-02, 01:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to any parts store and buy a "noid lite". This plugs into your injector wiring. Crank over the engine. If the light flashes, the injector is shorted or stuck as the light signals that the computer is pulsing it.

You cannot repair these injectors. You have to buy a rebuilt or a new one. Any parts store should be able to order you a replacement at less than 400 bucks. Probably in the neighborhood of 100 bucks or so.

Search this Thread