Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 Dodge Caravan

Visiting Guest

10-13-02, 10:21 AM   #1  
texsparky
1997 Dodge Caravan

Would a bad torque converter cause a shudder ocasionally in a vehicle (my wife describes it as the car getting a cold chill ) It usually occurs at speeds 45 MPH and above and as often as every 30 seconds.After 2 days of testing at the Dodge dealership,they came to the conclusion of a bad torque converter,and wanted $2175 to replace it. I carried it to a transmission repair shop and after test driving it,he added a product called shudder stop (or something like that) for $20 and said this might solve the problem.His theory was that I had let a Texaco express lube flush the transmission and replace the fluid(we were experiencing hard downshifting when coming to a stop ) and they didn't use Chrysler fluids,which has the additive in it.He said if this didn't work,the torque converter replacement would be $675. Anyone else ever had something like this ?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-13-02, 01:44 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, if you don't use Chrysler approved ATF (their own blend) you can cause damage.

The goo in a can may or may not work. Likely looking at a torque converter or a rebuild down the road .

Visiting Guest

10-13-02, 02:35 PM   #3  
texsparky
Thanks Joe,
You would think that a business who services transmissions ought to know this(Texaco express lube). I will be finding out what type of fluid was used and if wrong type,I will hold them accountable for it .

Search this Thread