Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Frozen brake bleed valve

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 10:53 AM   #1  
Steve Drane
Frozen brake bleed valve

I am in the process of bleeding my brakes on a Mercury Sable. Unfortunately I cannot loosen the front brake bleed valve. It apparently is rusted/frozen. I even tried using an easy out and it broke off. Any suggestions on how I can remove this? I know of course I will have to replace the old torn up bleed valve.

I want to add, as I should have, the Sable is a 91 model with about 250,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Steve Drane; 10-14-02 at 10:55 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 11:39 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Pitch the caliper for a new one. They are cheap enough for this vehicle. However, you do not state the year of it.

Now's a good time to replace the rubber brake lines as well.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 11:31 PM   #3  
knuckles
I agree with Joe. Reman calipers for this car are so cheap, it's not worth fighting with the broken bleeder. The brake hoses may actually be more expensive than the calipers!

If you're absolutely determined to get the bleeder out, try this:

Soak the bleeder with PB Blaster overnight, then tap on the bleeder with a hammer. Don't be shy with the hammer, but don't pound the screw so hard you distort it. Clamp a pair of Vise-Grips on to the bleeder & try to remove it. It may break free. If it does, replace it with a new one.

Search this Thread