Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

CV drive shaft installation

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 10:53 AM   #1  
danielmccoy
CV drive shaft installation

1986 Ford Taurus, 6 cylinder, 3.0 liter, front wheel drive, 160K miles.
Clicking sound during turns, discovered passenger side CV boot torn and all grease gone. I've taken the CV shaft out and am installing a new one. Question....how do I pull the spline shaft all the way thru the wheel hub so I can put the hub nut on? Haynes mentions a special tool, is that necessary? Any tricks?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 11:37 AM   #2  
Joe_F
STOP!

Return the part to the store and buy the whole axle. Much easier, better and cost effective.

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 02:11 PM   #3  
trendar
Wouldn't the process be the same whether the whole halfshaft is replaced, or if he cleaned out and re-booted the original CV joint?

On some other cars of this type, I usually was able to pull the splined shaft through the hub sufficiently to engage the hub nut, and tightening the nut to specs would draw the shaft home, but I assume you can't do this on the Taurus for some reason- it's usually trying to remove the thing that's the hard part and may need a puller to separate them. Did you try rotating the shaft slightly as you push in to make sure the splines are lined up?

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 04:21 PM   #4  
Joe_F
It can a bear to put it all together. Axles for this application are reasonably cheap and plentiful.

With that being said, if the the outer joint is wiped, the inner can't be far behind it. Replace the axle and be done with it

10-14-02, 07:35 PM   #5  
I had a Mercury Sable, which is about the same car. And Joe is right, change the whole thing and be done with it. On the first one I pulled the shaft and cleaned up the mess, regreased, rebooted, and reinstalled. In less than a year the boots were leaking and I had to do it over. Bought the entire shaft the second time and it was a LOT faster and easier. You will spend more time cleaning up the shaft and repairing it than the rest of the job put together. Let somebody else do the hard part.

IA

10-14-02, 09:53 PM   #6  
The outer cv joint is "tight" fit in the hub on most fords of this vintage. Make sure and clean the splines on the shaft and the hub with a wire brush or pick and spray with penetrating oil. Install in hub making sure splines are lined up. If the correct puller is not available, you can pull it through far enough to get the nut on by putting the socket on the hub and smacking it with a hammer. A couple of hits is all it should take to get the nut on and be able to pull it the rest of the way home.
One other thing on most aftermarket reman's, the splines don't get the best quality control standards. I can't count how many of these [email protected]* things I've had to take a file to, to get them to even start in the hub. A lot of the quality in the last few years has plummeted in response to the cut-throat competition. I would rather pay a premium price for a premium product, but even those are getting harder to find nowadays. Good Luck!

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 05:25 AM   #7  
danielmccoy
Sorry for the confusion, I may not of used the correct terminology by referring to the 'CV' shaft, but what I meant to say is I am replacing the whole half shaft. You've given me some good suggestions that don't require a puller and I'll try them tonight.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 06:52 AM   #8  
redneck
While we are on this subject--never use the split boot replacements. I recently did A LOT of work on front end of my '91 berretta, and cut the outer cv boot by accident (don't ask) only drove it around block before I saw the grease coming out. I was tired of working on the car and did not look forward to pulling the shaft and replacing the boot--so I bought one of the slit boot replacements. I knew when I bought it it was not going to work--but was hoping for a miracle--and said "why would they sell something that did not work". So I installed it (messy, tight fit job) and sure enough drove to work Mon and grease is flying everywhere! Never thought I'd say this--but I am getting tired of "doing it myself"!

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 09:32 AM   #9  
Joe_F
Lol That's where old and rear drive shines . No such problems. LOL.

Most folks learn that taking the short way out usually means doing it twice . It's not cost or time effective to replace CV joints. A rebuilt axle (I agree with the other poster about using quality ones ) is the way to go.

Visiting Guest

10-16-02, 05:25 AM   #10  
danielmccoy
Got the half shaft in last night and it works fine. Thanks for the suggestions.

Search this Thread