Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lift kit

Visiting Guest

10-14-02, 04:55 PM   #1  
Jamie27
lift kit

hello, my jeep is ridind rough over bumps and feels like it is bottoming out. I have new shocks and i think I need new leaf springs? Is there any thing else I should replace? How can I check for other things? Any recommendations for a say 3inch lift kit?

Thanks Jamie

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 03:48 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If you think it drives rough now, it will be worse with a lift kit, leave it stock.

It helps to know what year Jeep and the mileage and condition of it. Sure the springs are probably shot.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 04:48 AM   #3  
bigpoppax2
Well I will have to disagree. No disrespect there Joe. Just a different opinion.

Not all lifts will make your ride stiff. Fisrt and foremost a body lift will not affect your ride characteristics at all. Although I would not recommend a body lift unless it's for looks only, and you don't plan to do any offroading. The same goes for the shackle lifts, it will not make your ride any harsher, but in my book it's for looks only and again I don't recommend it. It messes with your axle pitch and you will end up with axle hop and spring wrap, both of which are bad. Then there is the option of just using lift blocks between your stock springs and the axles, along with longer U-bolts. You will run into the same problems with this as well. And you guessed it I don't recommend it either.

Any of these lift options can be done safely as long as they are not used in conjunction with each other and they are kept to a minimal amount of lift. I wouldn't go any more than 2-3 inches with any of these options. The best option of the formentioned methods of lifting, would be in my opinion the body lift (even though I hate them).

Your best bet and the safest method of lifting your jeep would be to go with an all spring lift from any of the well known lift companies, espically since you think your springs are shot anyway. Rancho, Superlift, Black Diamond, Rough Country, Skyjacker, Procomp and last but not least (the one I think you'd be interested in) TUFF COUNTRY.

Tuff Country makes an EZ ride kit try www.tuffcountry.com
They have lifts for about 600 to 1000 dollars depending on wether you want the shocks and the dropped pitman arm. I would recommend that particular kit. If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 05:48 AM   #4  
Joe_F
By making the vehicle higher, the center of gravity and propensity to sway and tip is changed, so the ride IS affected.

The suspension travel is not really affected. But you will notice a difference in the ride.

Either way, not a good idea unless there is a need to do so as you said.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 07:49 AM   #5  
Jamie27
Sorry about that guys, my jeep is 1993 wrangler with 115,000.00 miles on the car.

Jamie

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 10:09 AM   #6  
Nicholas
I like the looks of a lifted vehicle. I'll be installing a 4" suspension lift and some 33's in the near future on my 85 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4. It really dont matter what lift you put on your Jeep, it's got a real short wheel base so it will ride rough no matter what you do. I'm sure you can find a happy medium some where but It will never ride like a long wheel base vehicle. Good luck with your Jeep!

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 07:16 PM   #7  
bigpoppax2
Joe he was refering to the ride, not handling. Of course the handling will be affected, but his question as I read it was about the harshness of the ride.

I agree with Nichloas with such a short wheel base truck you will be hard pressed to get it to ride nice with any suspension set up short of air bags.

You have good points and bad points with the short wheel base. The good things are a small turning circle and less high centering. And yes you do have take the good with the bad where you will have a harsher ride with the short wheel base, as well as it will be more squirrely and harder to handle in an emergency situation at speed.

All in all you bought a Jeep, you can't expect the thing to ride like a Caddy. You have a very trailworthy rig there if all you do is put a mild lift and some larger tires. If you are very handy this should be something you can actually do yourself if you have the space and the tools to do it. If you feel you can't accomplish this on your own do take it to a reputable shop. Also, don't forget to get an alignment done after the lift. Drive it for about two weeks and re-check all of the fasteners.

Main thing don't forget to have fun.

Last edited by bigpoppax2; 10-15-02 at 07:34 PM.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 07:39 PM   #8  
Jamie27
Thanks all for the input

Jamie

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 09:23 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Ride and handling go hand in hand .

Original poster's choice to do it or not .

Adding the lift kit will not cure the bottoming out. If the suspension and steering components are in poor shape, this must be rectified first.

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 10:27 PM   #10  
bigpoppax2
A good quality lift kit will replace front and rear springs, so you will get your lift and fix your bottoming out problem at the same time.

I'd say you are bottoming out with a combination of worn springs and shocks, both of which will be replaced in the lift kit.

Food for thought, go to the dealer and price new springs and new shocks

You will see that you will be right about the price of the lift kits I referred to earlier. If you do want a lift this would definately be the way to go.

Use your own judgement and do what you want, stock replacements or the lift either one will fix your problem, one will make your truck more trailworthy if you are into that.

Good luck

Visiting Guest

10-16-02, 09:06 AM   #11  
Jamie27
Thanks again for all the advice. I've always wanted to do the JeepJamboree weekend expeditions, so that is why I am thinking of putting a lift kit in it. Has anyone ever done one of those Jamborees?

Search this Thread