Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Nissan Stumbles

10-14-02, 07:19 PM   #1  
Nissan Stumbles

Have a Nissan D21,4x4 pickup, '93, KA24,2.4L engine, multi port injection, about 50k miles. Has a skip or hesitation on acceleration or going uphill. If I let off the accelerator it runs fine, so going uphill I'm continually slowing down. It has done this on and off as long as I've had the truck, but has gotten worse lately. Sometimes will go months without any problem. Idles good, runs great on level road. When this happens it is so brief that the RPM's don't appear to drop. Checked computer, no trouble code set(only code is 55, normal). Have replaced dist. cap, rotor, spark plug cables (had one bad wire). Plugs look good. Fairly new fuel filter. Replaced fuel pressure regulator because I suspected fuel pressure, but that was no help. There is no easy way to check fuel pressure, but that is next on my list. Have replaced most of the vacuum hoses. All but the almost impossible to reach ones, and I'll get those soon. Checked the TPS with ohmmeter, no dead spots. Checked throttle body mounting, all is tight and looks like gaskets are all ok. Vacuum gauge reading at idle is smooth at about 22", recovers quickly after acceleration. Looks like no vacuum leaks. Have been using over the counter injector cleaner for about a month. Problem is not consistent either. Sometimes I leave home and it runs great, coming home it starts acting up again. For the last few days it has been consistently messing up, hot or cold engine. Have checked Alldata, no TSB's applicable to my problem. About a month ago replaced air filter and sprayed carb cleaner into throat of throttle body and onto the air flow heated wire and ref. resistor. Seemed to run better for couple of weeks. But then went back to its old ways. Problem is never so severe that I feel it might die on me, but would like to get it straightened out if anyone has any ideas.
TIA
Ichabod

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 05:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Have you checked for exhaust restrictions and a stuffed cat? The bad wire may have damaged the cat by loading up the exhaust with excess fuel.

Bang on the converter when cold and if you hear rattling around in there, you found your culprit...stuffed cat.

I also suggest you change the 02 sensor if you didn't already.

And yes, you have to check the fuel pressure .

10-15-02, 08:56 AM   #3  
Thanks Joe. I beat on the converter pretty hard this morning and didn't hear anything. I did notice a hole in my muffler though. Will check the fuel pressure and replace the O2 sensor in next few days. There is no fitting on the rail, so will have to cut the flexible tubing and install a tee with a fitting for a gauge.

Thanks again,
Ichabod

Visiting Guest

10-15-02, 09:23 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Look it up in Autolibrary and see where the test port is. There has to be one .

10-15-02, 09:59 AM   #5  
Believe it or not, there isn't one. There is no fitting of any kind anywhere on the rail itself or on the tubing connected to the rail. The manuals I have seen suggest disconnecting the hose from the filter to the rail and reading the pressure there. I will have to buy a tee connector and cut the flexible hose connected to the rail and install a gauge or a schrader valve on the tap of the tee.

Ichabod

10-17-02, 07:19 AM   #6  
Joe_F, checked my fuel pressure this morning. With no vacuum on the regulator I've got 35 psi, with vacuum the pressure is 25. Alldata says it should be 43 psi and 33 psi, respectively. Could this be my problem?

TIA,
Ichabod

10-17-02, 09:04 AM   #7  
Check that Joe, just reread the test procedure. I was supposed to read the pressure with the engine idling. I had the engine off, ignition switch on. Have to do it again tomorrow. Don't have time today.

Ichabod

10-17-02, 02:38 PM   #8  
With the engine idling the pressures are 33 psi with vacuum, 43 psi without vacuum. Dead on spec. Problem must be elsewhere.

Ichabod

Search this Thread