Obvious steering problem??

Old 10-16-02, 04:51 PM
Polarguy
Visiting Guest
Obvious steering problem??

I have a 96 Dodge Intrepid, notorious for steering problems, with loose steering. I've had it about a year now and since eveeryone had said they don't know how I can drive it with it so bad I poked around the tie rods, steering gear, etc. What a surprise, the two steering gear mounting bolts on the driver's side are out about 3/4 of an inch. They are tight (frozen, cross threaded?), but allow the steering gear to move up and down about the same 3/4 of an inch. I just want to be sure this is as wrong as it seems to be. This is my first trip into this steering system and I've learned that sometimes things that seem really wrong really aren't. My manual doesn't hint at any play like this. By the way, if it is supposed to be like this, why? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-02, 05:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Was the vehicle in any accidents?

Have you checked Alldata.com for known bulletins and recalls (if any) that relate to this problem?

Old 10-16-02, 06:11 PM
Polarguy
Visiting Guest
I did a Carfax before I bought it. It was one owner, no other information. I bought it from a small lot, not a dealer. There is no evidence of an accident. I don't know about any recalls or service bulletins.

Old 10-17-02, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You don't know of any, but what does Alldata.com show?

Old 10-17-02, 10:58 AM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
There are four bolts holding your rack and pinion to the car, all four of these bolts should be flush. The rack should not move when you turn the wheel. It would be my guess as the alignment and front end technician at a Chrysler dealership that at one point your rack and pinion was replaced by a bonehead that either cross threaded the bolt or left it loose and it rusted there. You're going to have to have that bolt removed and hole repaired. Chances are something else (inner tie rods or rack bushings) could have been damaged with all the movement, you should have it checked by a pro. I don't know of any recalls or bulletins pertaining to this but you should check Joe's posts or a dealership.
Good Luck

Old 10-17-02, 01:06 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Rack bushings? Maybe thats my problem. Without starting another thread what are rack bushings? I replaced everything on the front end of my '91 berretta and still have play at/in the rack--I have been putting off replacement until it gets worse--but are there just "bushings" you can replace?

Old 10-17-02, 02:37 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
Redneck
Rack bushings are internal to the rack (especially like the ones GM and the Intrepids use). On these particular racks the inner tie rods bolt onto the rack in the center, the bushings slide on a rail inside the rack, when you turn the wheel the gears inside the rack turn and slides the metal block that the inner tie rod bolts to that is over these bushings to the left or right moving the inner tie rods and thus your wheels.
These bushings are usually not replaceable, but even if you find them I'd let a professional put them in. We usually replace the entire rack and pinion.

Old 10-17-02, 03:42 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
steering

Front tire could be the reason,underinflated or warped belt.

Search this Thread