Starter on Geo Tracker

Old 10-16-02, 05:46 PM
Donna2518
Visiting Guest
Starter on Geo Tracker

Where is the starter located on a 97 Geo Tracker? My car only clicks when I try to start it. The battery terminals were covered in corrosion and I cleaned them off with a brush and a coke, used jumper cables and still nothing. My lights work and are shining bright. When I tried to start it while it was hooked up to the other car while jumpstarting, it did draw down on the other car but did nothing more than click once. I know if it dims the lights it is probably the starter but I didn't think to have them on when I tried to start it. If I can find the starter, I will beat on it and see if I can get it to start. Is there any chance it is the battery and not the starter? Or am I totally off base?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-02, 06:56 PM
Did you remove them from the battery before you cleaned them?If not, you did'nt do anything but make them look pretty.Remove them clean inside the terminals and clean the posts untill shiney.

Old 10-21-02, 10:44 AM
Donna2518
Visiting Guest
reply to Davo

Thanks! I went back to the car and the battery cable came off in my hand. The corrosion had eaten straight through the cable. I never had a battery corrode like that but now I know and will actually clean it once in a while.

Old 10-21-02, 12:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace both cables with new ones. They sound tired !