Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford problem....Again

10-16-02, 05:54 PM   #1  
Ford problem....Again

Hello all!!! My tbird is up to it again!!!

-1994 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L 130k miles

As many may be aware, I completed a head gasket job on this car. I am just starting to drive it again this week after 9 long months.

Problem now lays in the cooling system. I replaced the thermostat Back in february right b4 the head gasket blew. I replaced the water pump about a month ago. The temp was running high. It would start off and run in the right temp, but after about 10 mins, the temp would slowly climb, till right b4 3/4 hot. I found a leaky radiator cap and quickly replaced it.

Ran beautiful for 2 days. IN fact, I noticed that it seemed to be running to cool, less than a quarter way, but still over that first warm line. Today, after work, I fire up the POS and drive it around the block, and within a few mins, the temp gauge has shot up past halfway again. Normal for this car is right around or above quarter. I turned on the heater to bring temp down.

WTF? The only thing I can think of is: Faulty thermostat again, or my catalytic converters. When the head gasket blew I filled up the cats with coolant. Exhaust shop told me I had faulty cats now. I had them drill a hole in each to help relieve back pressure, and have not been able to replace them yet due to $$$ constraints.

Could a bad cat give intermitent temp probs like this? or does anyone else have any other ideas? Car never had this problem before head gasket blew.

Too many years of powershifting and too many miles has worn both engine mounts and the trans mount in my mustang, so now I don't really have my back up car....Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-16-02, 06:46 PM   #2  
TECHMAN
Replace thermostat and install new eng. temp sensor. Both of them could of been damaged if the eng got hot when the head gaskets blow. Make sure all air is out of syst. are you will get gauge flareup at times. -------Good Luck.----------Dave

10-17-02, 01:35 AM   #3  
Techman is right on for starts. Ford has had their share of bad sending units and some of the aftermarket thermostats are just good enough to get you around the block! If it were me I would go to Ford for the replacements, thats what I have started doing on my 91 Merc. The old stock of bad senders has long been purged from stock. Make sure the connections are clean at the sender also.

Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 03:54 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Definite air pocket!

Fords like this have a bleeder screw on the top of the engine. It's a 13mm disc with a bolt. That is the bleeder.

If you don't bleed it, you'll get an air pocket! See the autolibrary.org link I have below for more information.

These things are trouble of the hole. Pitch it as soon as possible

10-17-02, 08:44 AM   #5  
Thank You!! I will do all those steps this weekend and let you know if it works.

I would pitch the car in a hurry, but I am stuck in a rut. I owe 5400$ in payments on a car that is worth $1000. I am SOL. Oh well. That is the only reason why I have been so die hard on fixing this heap, I hate making payments on driveway decorations.

Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 05:43 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Let us know what you find.

Eeek, you owe a ton on that thing . Is it/was it ever worth 5 grand? .

It's probably an air pocket. If you went "OOOOH" about that bleeder port, I'm pretty sure this is your issue .

Search this Thread