1984 monte carlo, v6, 229

Old 10-17-02, 01:49 PM
1984 monte carlo, v6, 229

1984 monte carlo, v6, 229, 3.8 liter. Each morning I have to hit the gas pedal twice, start the car and wait for it to warm up. The engine almost stalls but after about a min or 2 it seems to get up to full idle. The rest of the day the car starts fine. This only happens in the mornings. I changed the air filter, fuel filter, and pcv valve. Inside the air cleaner housing is a valve , I think its a cold heat sensing valve. There is a place on the bottom of it which looks like 2 hoses attaches to it but nothing is connected to it. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions would help.
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-02, 03:47 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
cold start

Clean throttle body with a aresol can of throttle body cleaner from auto parts.The throttle body is where the air cleaner duct attaches to on the engine.Spray the cleaner into the throttle body to clean out gum deposits.This is the most common remedy for older cars with your problem.

Old 10-17-02, 05:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you observed how the choke is working/operating? First step.

Might be opening too fast....choke pull off issue.

Old 10-17-02, 08:46 PM
the valve you are reffering to if not hooked up correctly can cause running problems on a cold engine at near freezing or below freezing temps, the valve should have one vacum supply hose going to it the other vacum line goes to the vacum diaghram located on aircleaner at fresh air opening, the aircleaner should also have hot air tube running from the exhaust manifold to aircleaner, the valve if working properly allows vacum to diaghram when air temp is cold and allows it to draw warmer air off of exhaust manifold.
if your choke and pulloffs are working correctly i would suggest you hook it back up.

Old 10-19-02, 08:59 AM
1984 monte carlo

Thanks guys the advice was very helpful. is there a site where I can go and get a schamatic drawing of the door panal of a 1984 monte carlo

Old 10-19-02, 01:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Too old for autolibrary.org.....

It is held in with clips. Just remove any screws and crank handles for the windows (parts store has a tool for this) and then the panel will pop out from the door by pulling on it.