Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

F-150 sometimes dies when idling

Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 07:54 PM   #1  
fuller911
F-150 sometimes dies when idling

I have 1997 F150 with the 4.2 V6 and automatic transmission and 98k miles. Sometimes when I'm in traffic the truck will start to sputter and in some cases has died. After it does die it starts right back up. If I hit the gas pedal while it is sputtering it takes off immediately. Could it possibly be EGR or alternator?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-17-02, 11:48 PM   #2  
knuckles
It could be the alternator if it's a cheapo reman unit. The cheap remans play hell with Ford engine electronics. It could also be the EGR...But before I investigated either of those things I'd check/clean the Idle Air Control valve and the Throttle body.

Your IAC valve & Throttle Body will probably have a sticker on them that says "Do Not Clean" or something like that. Ignore the sticker, but use a non-agressive Throttle Body Cleaner rather than Carburetor cleaner.

Carb. cleaner will remove the antii-wear coating from the TB & IAC, which will eventually destroy them.

Let us know what happens.

Search this Thread