wrong oil

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-02, 10:36 PM
Steve34
Visiting Guest
wrong oil

I picked up synthetic 5w30 for my 87 3L Caravan or so I thought . I grabbed 15w50 by mistake(yes I know). I didn't realize until I had poured the first jug in, and it was late so nothing was open and the wife needed the van in the morning. should I change it out right away or should it be fine?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 03:39 AM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
For the next 3000 depending on how fast you put the miles on your vehicle, I'd say just drive it. Unless it gets real cold. Then I may change it early. Your cold start up, to when your engine is actually warm should be the only real time this should make any real difference. And this is only true if it's really cold.

My unwanted .02

Old 10-21-02, 03:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Probably ok for now.

Why are you using synthetic in that thing ? Waste of money frankly.....regular oil changed at the normal intervals is fine.

Old 10-21-02, 04:12 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
If you have to add a quart or more of oil before your next oil change, just add 5W-20 , 0W-20 or 0W-30, that will help with your cold weather starting (that is, if you have one).
As the other posts have stated, the 50 isn't a problem.
But as JoeF pointed out, you aren't going to benefit with synthetic oil.
Save your money and take the wife out to dinner - you'll really benefit then!!!

Old 10-21-02, 04:22 AM
Gomer-techimo
Visiting Guest
Dan:
I was under the impression that mixing brands of oil was ok... but not weights of oil.

Old 10-21-02, 07:14 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
It's not a good idea to mix brands of oils because different oil companies use different additives. Some of the additives may not be compatible with each other. It's always best, if changing brands, to make the change at a complete oil change.
When oil companies blend oils, they blend a combination of various weights (viscosities) in order to get the grade they want. You can do the same thing. For example, if you have a 40 grade in your car and you want a 30 grade, just add an equal amount of 20.

Old 10-21-02, 07:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try to use all one brand and weight of oil when you change it.

Much the same way you should use paint from all the same lot and type when you paint to dissipate any differences when it's manufactured.

If you mix oil brands during an oil change, you probably won't affect much. Do it often enough there might be problems...all depends on the combination of ingredients in the long run.

Old 10-21-02, 03:46 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
syn oil

Synthetic oil is the best thing for your car if it is 100 percent synthetic which is expensive.If you are paying 20- 25 dollars a quart it is 100 percent synthetic and you can leave it in your car for years and it in no way harm your engine.If it is 5 dollars a quart like Mobil 1 then it is not 100 percent synthetic.Check the label on Mobil 1 which says excluding carrrier oils.There are outlets that will put in 100 percent synthetic oil in your car and guarantee your engine from being harmed by the oil ,for the lifetime of your car and no oil change is ever needed,only a topup from time to time.

Old 10-21-02, 05:36 PM
plummerbutt
Visiting Guest
I have to disagree with the "outlets" claim davidf mentioned on the "no oil change is ever needed,only a topup from time to time."

I'm curious to which outlet would dare make such a claim.

Though synthetic oil has been shown not to break down chemically under higher temps than regular oil, chemical breaking down of the oil molecule has very little to do with the issue of regular changes.

The reason oil should be changed regularly is that it becomes contaminated with combustion by-products, diluted with fuel, and becomes a "carrier" for the micro-particles of lead, silver, steel, cast iron & other metals when friction errodes them from the parts in your engine. The filter does a reasonably good job at removing the solids, but many contaminents pass through the filter as they are less viscious than the oil.

Many people believe that when they check their oil at 3000 miles and the level on the stick shows full that their vehicle loses no oil.
Actually all internal combustion engines used in transportation today lose some oil through use. The reason for the loss is that there are no perfect seals in an engine. There is a sizable ring-end gap on each piston ring, valve stem seals aren't "oil tight" and the rings themselves are not a 100% seal against the cylinder walls. Becaus of this every time a cylinder fires, a minute amount of the combustion by products exchange place with a minute amount of the oil, the oil passing with the exhaust gases & the by-products going into your crankcase and mixing with the oil. These by-products, along with the other impurities are what cause the engine parts to wear faster than they would with pure oil as they create more friction due to their abrasive qualities.

Generally speaking, even non-synthetic oil never goes "bad", it only becomes contaminated with impurities (unless it is chemically altered by ultra high temperatures or other means). If you find this hard to believe, check with an engine oil recycler who makes a living reclaiming used motor oil.

I am not saying that synthetic is better or worse than refined oil, each in a pure form, however the synthetic cannot use voodo magic or any other means to overcome the fact that it too is susceptable to contamination. Generally it is quite a bit more expensive to change at each interval.

Regular oil changes are the way to keep your engine in tip-top shape no matter which oil you choose to run.

Old 10-21-02, 06:58 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
Well first of all I do not sell Amsoil and I'm not affilieated in any way with Amsoil. (I just use it)

Amsoil states that you can run their full synthetic 25,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. They have a warranty that states if you have any oil related failure whatsoever while using their oil they will cover it.

I have used their products for quite some time with no failures to date. My mom has it in her Honda (65,000) I have it in my truck (only 42,000), and in my Passport (60,000).

I've had nary a problem with any of them. And I will continue to use their product. In my humble opinion they are the best synthetic out. My only stink with it is you have to find a local dealer (can't go buy it at Napa or Advance Auto).

For anyone wanting a good read, here is some really good info on a independent test of Amsoil and some comparisons. Results are very interesting, to say the least.

www.mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Old 10-21-02, 08:24 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
Talking here we go...

another discussion on oil changes.

1. change your oil per mfg recommendations.

2. read #1

3. unless you live in the arctic, don't waste your money on synthetic, unless of course it makes you feel better by using it.

Old 10-21-02, 08:59 PM
plummerbutt
Visiting Guest
bigpoppax2,
You mentioned using Amsoil in your fleet and mentioned Amsoil's recommended change intervals but you never mentioned your regimen so I would guess you use the mfg. recmmendation of 24000 mi & ignore the auto mfg recommendation. If this is the case, did you install the special "bypass filter" on the vehicles which do not get 3000 mi changes? If not, perhaps reading into the article a little deeper would benefit your fleet. If you did install a bypass filter, you can save a few $$ using standard oil.

The article made note of synthetic oil providing better seal qualities on piston rings thereby lowering by-products from entering the oil, but failed to explain how it sealed a .006 and larger ring end gap so by-products couldn't get past.

Synthetic oil may be superior in many qualities as far as lubrication is concerned, however it is not something you put in the crankcase & drive for 40000+ miles without change unless you have a filter which traps particles & contaminents larger than 1 micron, & according to the article, stock filters let particles less than 30 or 40 microns through. The filter mfg whose filter was used in the test recommended replacements at 25,000 mi & the test vehicles had them replaced at 12,500 miles, a far cry from never or 60000 with or without a stock filter.

My issue is not the quality of one oil compared to another. My issue is that a post claimed that synthetic oil was a fill it & forget it one time investment which may mislead unknowing users into neglecting their vehicles since there were a few key facts left out.

Best of luck to all no matter what oil you choose.

Old 10-21-02, 10:17 PM
Steve34
Visiting Guest
why synthetic

I thought I'd put synthetic in because of the cold, it gets -22 f to -40 f+ around here. The van is usally in a garage which only drops to around 1.4 f. It says its still pumpable to -40 at which I think my regular 5w30 is like tar. So maybe I will keep it then.
Thanks for the input.

Old 10-21-02, 11:31 PM
bigpoppax2
Visiting Guest
I use synthetic because I think it provides better protection than regular oil. It's your choice to put whatever you wanna put in your car. I took from the article the fact that the run of taxis with synth in them for 60,000 miles with nothing but a filter change at 12,500 faired better at teardown than the regular oil at 3000 mile intravals.

Again, it's your choice. So I'm spending a little extra, if I think I'm more protected so be it. I know for a fact synthetic is better. If it wasn't the company that I work for wouldn't spend the money on it for our compressors. Considering we have around 300 compressors some of which are rated at 12 million cubic feet per day. I work for a natural gas well operation. We use a lot of oil.

As for my regiment, I run 5W-30 for 10,000 miles with a filter change at 5,000. Two of my vehicles manuals state that I can go 7500 miles between oil changes. The synth's major advantage is the extended drain intraval, and the added protection.

The only reason I don't run longer than 10,000 miles per oil change is I simply don't put enough miles on my truck per year.

No I haven't installed the bypass filters. Neither has my mom, she's running the full 25,000 miles on hers, with the filter change at 12,500. You can send in a sample and get your oil tested and see what's really going on inside your engine. I've never sprung for one, but the truckers that run their oil for as long as possible get these tests run regularly and run their oil for much longer than the recommended 25,000 miles.

You do have to admit it's in the oil companies best interest to sell more oil. So if they state you can run 25,000 on an oil change, and warranty it, I'd say they've done their homework.

If you want to run .99 cent a quart oil in yours every 3000 have at it. I just prefer the added protection.

Old 10-22-02, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
It's in the oil companies best interests to sell more oil "OR" sell oil at greatly increased prices (synthetic). Same thing with gasoline grades; I see people all the time pumping 93 octane into cars that I know will run ping/knock-free on 87. Waste of money.

200k miles on the 350 Chevy in my W4 wrecker now; 3k oil changes with Sam's Club 10w-30. I spend approximately $60 a year on the oil for 10 oil changes (30,000 miles). That's $20 per 10k miles (6qts /change); don't think you can beat that with synthetic. Of course, we do our own changes and it takes 10 min's, so there would be a $ advantage for the non-d-i-y'er (what are they doing here!, LOL) to extend the interval.

My wife's Camry (140k) gets same treatment. Both vehicles run like they just came off the showroom floor and use no (okay, negligible amount of) oil.

Old 10-22-02, 08:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
We could go on for days on this subject.

The original poster's question has been answered: No, there is no problem mixing oils by mistake this one time. Next time try to use the same grade and brand of oil during an oil change .

Main rules of thumb:

1) Synthetic is not feasible cost wise for most cars. You will get lackluster benefit for most street, stock applications.

2) Extending the drain intervals beyond the manufacturer's recommendation is a sure fire way to trouble. Stick to their recommendations...in many cases vehicles are driven in the severe category and require a maintenance schedule as such.

3) Time and time again good, solid maintenance has proven itself in millions of miles of fleet use and longevity. Oil is cheap, engines are not. I'll spend a little more now than later

4) It's surely not in the automaker's interest for you to be regular with your maintenance. When you are, you are not at the dealer buying a new car, nor are you in their shop(s) getting an engine job. The primary purpose of a dealer is to sell new cars, service and parts is gravy .

5) I don't buy the extended drain interval of synthetics. I think acids, water, and everything else attack them the same way as conventional oils. Changing your oil is the single best thing you can do for a motor.

6) I believe that in EXTREME applications, there IS merit to synthetic. The industrial applications you're talking about are punishing and grueling applications. Race cars, high performance cars, etc are cases where synthetic is warranted. Your average Joe driver sedan...synthetic is a waste of money and the benefit is not warranted for such applications. Spend the money on other areas of the car that could use the benefit .

Old 10-22-02, 03:58 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
syn

Mobil1,Amsoil and castrols Syntech are only about 98 % synthetic and the 2% nonsynthetic due to the manufacturing process drastically cuts down usage period.The real synthetic oils are expensive and usage periods are ususlly good for life of car.

Old 10-22-02, 04:09 PM
davidf
Visiting Guest
read this

http://synlube.com/synthetic.htm is a website that describes the difference between phony synthetic oils that claim they are synthetic but if you read the container label it says things like excluding carrier oil.Synlube makes the real pure 100.000 percent synthetic oil and if you scroll down the long page on that website it shows at one place where they guarantee the oil for the life of the car .There are outlets that put this and other real synthetic oil in cars but you might have to look around for garages that do it.I knew of one place that put the real syn. oil in cars and give a guarentee for life but he went out of business.Who wants to pay 150 dollars for an engine flush and oil change,right?Smart people do.

Old 10-23-02, 03:24 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
It never ceases to amuse me how people can form their own opinions on oil who have never worked in or been educated in the field of Petroleum Engineering.
When Davidf speaks of "100% synthetic oil" I would like him to explain the difference between PAO, POE, PAG , Group III and Group IV base oils and which are the "phony" and which are the "real" synthetics. And which base oil Mobil 1, Amsoil, Castrol use.

Old 10-23-02, 03:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sorry guys, going to have to cut the bait and close this one. The original poster's question was answered already....

We could go on for the merits about this for days...Lol.

Closed Thread