1997 Jetta GLS alarm...

Old 10-21-02, 10:41 AM
1997 Jetta GLS alarm...

Please help!

I have a 1997 VW Jetta GLS w/approx 75,000 miles on it. The problem that just popped up is that the alarm (factory alarm, not aftermarket) arms itself when I start up the car. I can drive along just fine and dandy, but as soon as I either open the door or remove the key from the ignition the alarm goes off. I can turn it off by turning the key in the door, but I can't seem to do anything to "disarm" the from inside the car before the alarm goes off.

Has anyone had this problem or better yet know how to fix it? I'm hoping that it's just a bad fuse or something, but I really don't know. I'm even willing to go without the alarm period, but I don't know if disabling the alarm will keep the car from starting. I know that VW's are notorious for having electrical problems, but I can't afford to take it to a garage for service. I'll live with the problem for as long as I can, but I frequently come home late and it's just a matter of time before I begin to alienate my neighbors.

Thanks for any help,

matt

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 12:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
This could be a gazorch to figure out. There's a lot to it.

First thing I would do is, if you want to fix it yourself is spend 25 bucks for an Alldata.com subscription. That will get you access to the factory diagnostic charts, bulletins and wiring diagrams...money well spent.

Before spending the $$ on the subscription, see if you find any bulletin titles or recalls at Alldata.com. If none, then go ahead and purchase the description. If you find any that pertain to your problem, then call up any VW dealer and ask them to make a print out of the bulletin or explain it and you'll know what the fix is and if you can tackle it yourself or you have to have it done for you.

I never liked these alarms. They mostly do squat. If they want it, they'll get it, and no one wants these cars honestly . That and they always seem to act up down the road.

My sister's 2000 Jetta has something similar. I told her I don't want to be the one to change those locks in 10 years when they fail. Expensive ducks! .

Old 10-22-02, 10:02 AM
more info...

Joe,

thanks for the info! The AllData site didn't seem to offer any promising bulletins, and I'll consider the subscirption. However I wanted to pass along further information I've learned about my car's problem incase anyone else can help.

The alarm arming seems to be more frequent when the car is warm (either from the sun or from running). For example when I started it up this morning (borderline frosty), the alarm did not arm until about 15 minutes into the trip. After I stopped briefly on an errand and restarted the car the alarm armed immediately. Also, driving home late last night after sitting and cooling for 15 hours or so, the alarm did not arm at all. Also, the alarm is NOT triggered when I take the key out of the ignition as I originally believed, but only when I open a door or try to restart the car without getting out (lots of fun if I stall, believe you me).

I wonder if there's moisture in the door lock mechanism, since that's how the alarm is armed when functioning normally (I don't have a remote for the alarm). Will a lock de-icer eliminate moisture or does it only alter the melting temp? If not a de-icer, could something else do the job? Rubbing alcohol, oil, etc.?

I'm looking for any potential answers.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 10-22-02, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can sure try liquid graphite in the door locks (Lockease) and it does sound like something is getting wet.

I do suggest a schematic of the system if you didn't find anything that jumps out at you as a problem you can bring up with the dealer.