Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

90 Ranger, need help

Visiting Guest

10-23-02, 06:30 AM   #1  
Kynative
90 Ranger, need help

I have a 1990 Ford ranger. When going up hills or pulling out fast
it buck's or hesitate's and sometimes it will die. But, I can turn it
around and go up a hill in reverse just fine, with no hesitation's or
any problems at all. I have had a new fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel relay, new plug wire's. I also had a fuel presure test and it showed 40. What could be wrong? Need help, guess work is getting expensive. Thank's.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-23-02, 07:00 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-23-02, 04:35 PM   #3  
Check your motor mounts. Pulling off fast, and going uphill puts a strain on the mounts, and if one is letting the engine lift up, then it could be pinching or pulling a wire, causing your problem. In reverse, the engine tries to twist the other way, so it won't lift up on the same side.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-23-02, 11:17 PM   #4  
Good point on the motor mounts. also you may want to do a fuel pressure test while you go up hill and during acceleration. Dont let the fact that you replaced the fuel pump mislead you and that you think its actually doing its job, some of the aftermarket pumps are real garbage. Pressure is one thing and volume is another, both conditions must be met. I have had 2 vehicles on other boards go through 4 pumps apiece before they replaced them with factory pumps. Use and AC Delco/GM or a Motorcraft/Borg Warner. Did you also replace the strainer on the fuel pump? Have you pulled error codes off the computer? You could also have MAP/MAF sensor problems or vacuum leaks.

Search this Thread