blinker & blower

Old 10-23-02, 07:59 AM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
blinker & blower

2 questions for a '91 Olds 88 Royale:

1) All rights turn signal lights work properly, even when replaced, however do not blink when blinker is engaged. I assume (from other threads) I have a bad blinker. Is this something the average person can replace?

2) AC blower kicks in to high when car is shut off and will not stop until it drains the battery. The only way I have found to shut it off is to pull the main AC fuse under the hood (as opposed to the control's fuse under the dash). Is this a bad switch or resistor and again can the average person realisticly repair or replace it.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-02, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
#1: Make sure you have all the right bulb part #s installed, they are good bulbs and installed correctly. If you still have the problem, swap the turn signal and hazard flashers (do the hazards work right?) If by swapping flashers, your problem goes away, bad flasher unit.

Any parts store should be able to provide a replacement and the flasher's location.

#2: Probably a stuck relay. Check autolibrary.org as I have it bookmarked below.

Old 10-23-02, 12:52 PM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
Relay questions

The bad flasher suggestion was correct, thanks. As for the blower problem, where would I find this stuck relay and would I repair it or replace it? It would also probably help to have some idea of what it looks like (I am assuming it is an actual plastic part somewhere either behind the instrument panel or near the fuse box under the hood). Would it be advisable to test it with a voltmeter (again assuming its possible)?

Old 10-23-02, 12:57 PM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
in addition

Oh, I also checked out the Chilton Auto Library like you suggested and I did not find any info other than replacing the blower motor for my model. Thanks

Old 10-23-02, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locating a relay can be tough on some cars. Autozone has a locator for these things. Call them and ask them where it is located. Otherwise, you may find it on the firewall, bunched with several other relays. Sometimes on this style GM, there are some relays behind the glove box.

Old 10-23-02, 05:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Alternatively, just call any GM dealer and they will tell you by looking at the parts microfiche.

Old 10-24-02, 12:02 AM
Try looking here for Hi blower relay:
UNDER HOOD, CENTER, UPPER FIREWALL, PASSENGER SIDE OF BLOWER MOTOR, MOUNTED IN RELAY BLOCK

It might look something like this:
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/AAP/GPS/MR125.jpg

Old 10-24-02, 11:36 AM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
Stevo, thanks for the location and the pic, you were exactly right. Unfortunately I found only one relay in the relay bank and according to Autozone that is the only relay that is supposed to be there and the only relay associated with the blower. I replaced the relay and as soon as I stuck the AC fuse back in the blower immediately kicked on (ignition was off). So it looks like the problem lies elsewhere. Any further suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it? FYI I checked the relays behind the glove box, none of which have anything to do with the blower.

Old 10-24-02, 06:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does your service manual have to say about the issue?

If you don't have one (you should), what does autolibrary.org (the wiring schematics particularly) have to say about it?

Old 10-24-02, 08:46 PM
We need to look at a better wiring diagram. The online wiring diagram is generic. Normally the ignition switch controls voltage to the blower fuse/motor and now i'm curious why you have constant voltage there with the key off. I cant promise anything but let me look around for some other diagrams.
Do you have automatic temperature control(ATC)?

Old 10-25-02, 11:12 AM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. I do indeed have automatic climate control. The online wiring diagram does not appear to lend much help. One thing I noticed when replacing the relay is that when I disconnected the relay, the blower still had power to it and the problem remained. I was under the impression that when you pull a relay the circuit should be open, but then again if I knew the answers the thing would already be fixed. Unfortunately I do not have the manual, and even more unfortunate is that I can't afford one (go to school for 6 years and come out in a poor economy and can't find a job, sob). I am saving all my dimes in case this thing is expensive to fix.

Old 10-25-02, 06:56 PM
Well your description of the problem now leads me to believe that it might not be on HIGH blower setting but another lower setting. I'll look around some more but in the mean time try posting your question at the forum at www.aircondition.com. Give them all the facts like ATC and what you have done. I never made it to college but I just lost my job,again, due to a plant closure. Looks like the current and future of "American" business is to be supported wholly by Mexico and China's labor force.

Old 10-25-02, 11:20 PM
lonj27
Visiting Guest
All right, I have posted the problem on aircondition.com, thanks for the suggestion. I am sorry to hear that we share the same employment problems. I fear companies will continue to shop overseas for cheaper labor until the standard of living in those countries rises to a point that it is no longer cost effective to ship jobs out, or the government tightens up on foreign trade practices or imposes higher tariffs. Either way I wish you the best of luck and appreciate your continued help on this matter.

Search this Thread