no spark

Old 10-23-02, 09:08 AM
bgkoontz
Visiting Guest
no spark

I have a 1985 GMC truck with a 350 engine. When I turn the key to start I don't even get a click. Using a screw driver I jumped across the starter and found that it works and that the battery is good. Reading an old Chiltons manual I checked the voltage from the Pink wire that attaches to the distributer. I didn't have any voltage there. The book says repair the open in the pink wire. Instead of that I ran a temporary wire from the battery to where the pink wire attaches to the distributer. After I did that the engine will crank by using the key in the ignition. I replaced the coil and still don't have a spark when cranking. What is the next component in the system that will give me the spark to start this thing?

I eliminated the need to fix the pink wire by running a new wire. Would the ignition control module keep me from getting a spark if it is bad?

Last edited by bgkoontz; 10-23-02 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-02, 10:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did you repair the pink wire?

Old 10-23-02, 04:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pink wire does need to be repaired. If you have it unplugged, and a temp wire in it's place, and still have no spark, then you may have a bad pickup in the dist., bad rotor, or a bad module. I believe this truck has ESC also. I don't know if the ESC module depends on that pink wire or not.

Old 11-06-02, 12:27 PM
bgkoontz
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by cheese
The pink wire does need to be repaired. If you have it unplugged, and a temp wire in it's place, and still have no spark, then you may have a bad pickup in the dist., bad rotor, or a bad module. I believe this truck has ESC also. I don't know if the ESC module depends on that pink wire or not.

Old 11-06-02, 12:33 PM
bgkoontz
Visiting Guest
I found the problem with the no spark. The ignition control module was bad. As for the pink wire, it was fine from the distributor to the junction block. There was a small red wire that connects to the starter that I found broken. Once I fixed that the Chevy came alive. Thanks for your help

Old 11-06-02, 01:22 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Nothing better than bringing life to a chevy--unless its a pontiac!!