Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no spark

Visiting Guest

10-23-02, 09:08 AM   #1  
bgkoontz
no spark

I have a 1985 GMC truck with a 350 engine. When I turn the key to start I don't even get a click. Using a screw driver I jumped across the starter and found that it works and that the battery is good. Reading an old Chiltons manual I checked the voltage from the Pink wire that attaches to the distributer. I didn't have any voltage there. The book says repair the open in the pink wire. Instead of that I ran a temporary wire from the battery to where the pink wire attaches to the distributer. After I did that the engine will crank by using the key in the ignition. I replaced the coil and still don't have a spark when cranking. What is the next component in the system that will give me the spark to start this thing?

I eliminated the need to fix the pink wire by running a new wire. Would the ignition control module keep me from getting a spark if it is bad?

Last edited by bgkoontz; 10-23-02 at 10:37 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-23-02, 10:09 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Did you repair the pink wire?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-23-02, 04:40 PM   #3  
The pink wire does need to be repaired. If you have it unplugged, and a temp wire in it's place, and still have no spark, then you may have a bad pickup in the dist., bad rotor, or a bad module. I believe this truck has ESC also. I don't know if the ESC module depends on that pink wire or not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 12:27 PM   #4  
bgkoontz
Originally posted by cheese
The pink wire does need to be repaired. If you have it unplugged, and a temp wire in it's place, and still have no spark, then you may have a bad pickup in the dist., bad rotor, or a bad module. I believe this truck has ESC also. I don't know if the ESC module depends on that pink wire or not.

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 12:33 PM   #5  
bgkoontz
I found the problem with the no spark. The ignition control module was bad. As for the pink wire, it was fine from the distributor to the junction block. There was a small red wire that connects to the starter that I found broken. Once I fixed that the Chevy came alive. Thanks for your help

Visiting Guest

11-06-02, 01:22 PM   #6  
redneck
Nothing better than bringing life to a chevy--unless its a pontiac!!

Search this Thread