Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 Dodge pickup driveline wobble

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 03:13 AM   #1  
Tuberocity
91 Dodge pickup driveline wobble

Since I bought this truck, Ram/318 v8, it had a wobble at around 55-60 mph. Eventualy the rear u-joint went out, at 80 mph on the freeway. Thought the thing was falling apart around me! I replaced the u-joint, and had the shaft ballanced. About 10 thousand miles later the wobble started up again, this time I replaced front and back with high grade u-joints, pulled the rear trans case off, and replaced the sleave where the shaft enters the rear casing. I put the sleave in from the outside, and was later told I should have inserted this part from the inside, and might possibly have a bad rear case, the old sleave was sitting on the shaft inside the case, not in it's proper position. I should have replaced the bearing that is in this case, then I would be sure it was the case most likely, for that matter I should have replaced the case, $30 part. Anyway, now it is wobbleing again at 55mph! This wobble appeared shortly after the above repairs when I was doing 90 on the freeway. This truck is geared such that the engine is really winding rpms at 90, and you wouldn't want to go much faster. I rarely drive this fast these days, but that one time did it. I got off the freeway, and low and behold the wobble was back, a few days after the repairs. Any ideas??? I'm thinking the rear case, another sleave, and the inside bearing? At this point the wobble isn't real bad yet so I feel secure that the u-joints havn't been affected yet, and am not sure they were in the first place, just wanted to do a thourough job to avoid having to take it all aprt again, wasn't thorough enough I guess! The wobble at this point is only at 55mph, but will get worse as the miles pile on, and I will have to replace again. Thanks for any replies Tom

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 03:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start from square one and replace all affected parts. Losing the driveshaft on the highway is serious business .

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 08:26 AM   #3  
Tuberocity
The drive shaft is very thick as are the u-joint ares of the shaft, but someone told me if the shaft fell out, or broke off at the front the truck would do a polevault with me in it? I will replace all this time around! Thanks Tom

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 09:08 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Yup and could cause major damage if it does.

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 09:42 AM   #5  
Tuberocity
HAHAHAHAHA Major damage to say the least, if I live through it! Tom

10-28-02, 12:13 AM   #6  
Also replace the straps or clamps that hold the U-joints to the yoke.

Visiting Guest

10-28-02, 09:35 AM   #7  
Tuberocity
Thanks for that last post as I would have certainly replaced all affected parts but these. Never thought about the straps, good idea. I thought I was being pretty thorough in me second attempt to cure the problem, but alas a few more dollars would have prevented the disassembly again. The bad part of this is I should have come out here first for advice, as I would have spent the money, money was not a concern, fixing it permently was the concern, and I thought I had it licked. NOT!!! Thanks Tom

Search this Thread