dodge ram abs, emer brake light won't go off

Old 10-24-02, 04:28 AM
dna5303
Visiting Guest
dodge ram abs, emer brake light won't go off

1999 dodge ram 1500

my wife was driving (1st mistake) and the abs light came on then she calls me about 10 minutes later and the emer. brake light comes on the about 10 minutes later the speedometer only works after 30mph. well the brakes were shot i took it to a shop and got new drums ect. ect. and the macanic told me i had to go to the dodge house to get the abs/brake lights turned off. i was just wondering if maybe one of you would know how or should i just leave them on until they burn out. i mean the lights are worthless any ways they don't even come on til it's to late whatever happened to gagues.

thanks, dennis

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-02, 05:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the vehicle professionally serviced by someone who has the tools, knowledge and procedures to fix it right.

If the guy you brought it to could not diagnose the ABS system and sends you to the dealer, he's probably used to working on 1960's cars. Lol.

Most competent shops can handle this repair and have the tools and knowledge to fix it.

The brake warning lamp shows pressure failure in the system. The ABS lamp shows fault in the anti-lock system. Both need to be properly serviced. A scan tool can be used to pull codes from the ABS system.

Not something to fool around with. Get it fixed right away properly so both lights go off.

Old 10-24-02, 03:14 PM
rljsmith2001
Visiting Guest
When you get he code checked it will probably be for the rear wheel speed sensor on the rear differential. The only way to turn the light off is to have someone (dealership) clear the code with a scan tool after the problem is fixed. This sensor are what the ABS and speedometer use to get their readings. Have the code checked before replacing any parts. If I remember correctly you will probably have to get the connector changed (it usually come with the part if you by it from Dodge) as the part has been revised form Dodge. Good luck.