Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

squeeky belt

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 07:04 AM   #1  
eastofeast
squeeky belt

I would like to know how to fix a squeeky belt. The reason behind not going to a mechanic is because it's an old Porsch and I don't want to pay $150 CDN/hr (about $100 US) to fix what I think is an easy problem. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 09:09 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Replace the offending belt in question and make sure it's tensioned properly and that all accessories run true and in line.

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 12:53 PM   #3  
eastofeast
Thanks Joe,

Iíll do as suggested and explain the story of my car. I purchased it (1986 Porsche 944) for a really good price last winter but it didnít have a functional rack & pinion. I replaced it earlier this year, fall time, and as preventive maintenance I replaced the belts, seals and filters. The squeaking only started a couple weeks ago, and up hear in Canada itís cold now, could that be a reason? However, I would like to pick at your brain a bit more, firstly, how do I assure myself that all is true and in line, is there a tool or can I eyeball it? And secondly, the belt looks and feels new, is there a test or something I could give it to see if itís worn out? (It hasnít even been a year) Anyway, I will certainly respond to the forum once everything is fixed and thanks for the quick reply Joe.

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 01:34 PM   #4  
davidf
You can buy a aresol can of silicone spray for car door seals and such .On the back label it gives many uses and one of them is spray on belt to fix squeak.

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 05:59 PM   #5  
Joe_F
If you plan on repairing this vehicle, spend the money and pick up the factory service manual. Well worth it.

You cannot fix belts by spraying any kind of goo on them. Belts do not require that. If they squeak, they are either loose, out of alignment or shot.

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 05:05 AM   #6  
eastofeast
Joe - You are the third person to tell me that but they are unavailable at the moment, even Porsche in Germany doesnít have any in stock. I tried every website and called many dealerships, and there are none to be found (I also tried the link in your signature as well). I purchased another book but it is very technical and hard to follow when you have very little professional training. Nevertheless I will tighten it to see if that is the case, which is more then likely since Iím certain something major would have to happen if it were to become out of line. Also, by looking at it seems true, and there is a little play when stretching it with one finger.

David Ė Thanks for the advice, I thought the same thing. Itís good to know Iím not the only novice/amateur on this site. Lol

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 05:57 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I find that hard to believe . When do they say there will be a reprint? How about buying it used? Someone's got it out there.

I know that Robert Bentley does the Audi manuals, that should be the factory manual for Porsche too.

Geez, they shouldn't make it so hard. Helm has most years available right when you call for GM models .

Visiting Guest

10-25-02, 01:42 PM   #8  
davidf
Sometimes novices know a thing or two ..Jack of all trades and master of none is my moto.

10-25-02, 08:38 PM   #9  
All new belts need to be retensioned after about 30 minutes of use. Here's some links for service manuals:

www.stores.ebay.com/manualsdotcom Reprints $120(4 book set)
www.ebay.com Do a search for Porsche 944
www.books4cars.com Do a search for Porsche 944
www.bookfinder.com Do a search for Porsche 944

There are others. Hope this helps a bit.

Search this Thread