Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

front struts

Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 09:12 AM   #1  
bigdupa
front struts

92 olds cutlass supreme. took it in for inspection. my rear struts are bad but that won't fail inspection. the mechanic says my front struts are also bad. he says when i turn the bottom of the strut is turning like it should but the top isn't which is causing a twisting action and will one of these days snap right in two. does that sound logical? i really can't feel any steering problems.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-24-02, 09:21 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You'd get more of a suspension problem than a steering problem with bad struts.

Does the car rebound more than twice on its own when you bounce up and down on it?

10-24-02, 05:01 PM   #3  
Your car has slightly different struts than most cars.Front struts with the coil spring attached need a pivot point or bearing to prevent coil spring binding.On your car this pivot is located on the strut housing,most other cars have a pivot mounted to the inner fender under the hood.I doubt that they would break off if bad but the coil spring could.Usually if the pivot point is bad you get"memory steer"this when you turn and then attempt to go straight the vehicle attemps to steer towards the last turn made.If this is your problem the entire strut assembly would need replaced not just the internal cartridge.

Search this Thread